1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Wrangler - Electrical Setup for Plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by RobG, Dec 11, 2009.

1. RobG

RobG Junior Member

I have a 2000 Wrangler witha 4.0L/Auto combo and the 117 amp alternator. I am experiencing heavy electrical dray when I move the plow blade (Wester Cable Mount w/ 6.5 foot blade). There I must lower the blade and put the vehicle in nuetral or park and rev the motor to generate peak amps to move the blade left or right.

I understand that I can swap out a 130 or 160 amp alternator from a 2005 Dodge Durango 3.7L V6 motor and that it will bolt right in on my I-6. Do you feel that this is the only modification I need to do or are there other changes I need to make?

The motor on my pump and the relay are new. Everything is wired into my battery and I have clean, solid grounds.

Thanks!

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my '00 XJ, except mine had the 130 amp alt. It turns out the issue was with the tired-out battery that was in the Jeep. I replaced it with a Wal-Mart Maxx battery and the problem went away (that was 3 years ago & still no issues.) What size battery do you have in the TJ? How old is it?

Fran

3. RobG

RobG Junior Member

I have a Mopar OFFroad brand battery that is rayed at 750 amps, it is about 3.5 years old.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a 2000 TJ also with the 117 amp alt. I do have 2 batteries I put one in the back with 1 gage wire to the front and a relay to isolate the batteries. I have NO problem with voltage. It will drop voltage when moving the plow, (up, left, right) but comes rite back as soon as I get of the switch.

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I'd would either go with a double battery set-up or any of the new spiral battery designs. A 3 year old battery in a plow vehicle is a season past its prime IMO. I have not had a battery last more than two seasons of heavy draw. I have never upgraded an alternator though. Having had nearly twenty years of Westerns and Fishers I would triple check your connections and motor. You have either got a bad battery, bad connections, or a bad motor.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009