1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Spaces?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Duramax66, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Duramax66

Duramax66 Junior Member

I have a shopping center that is asking me to place a bid. I haven't had a chance to measure it but they said that it is 2000 parking spaces in the lots plus some drives and loading docks. Is there a way to estimate acre's from spaces?

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

measure one space,,,and multiply

3. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

bingo

im guessing one spot will be close to 7ft-8ft wide by 16ft long

thats just a guess though

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find JD Dave on here he can help you out. If you can get a few hundred per space you should make out. Salting is extra right?

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You really need to measure the lot & see the layout. I went to school for civil engineering part of a class was on that (parking lot layout), the spaces per sq ft can vary greatly. Then add in roadways.
    They may know the sq ft of the lot if you ask. I did one bid last season, they knew exactly as it had just been sealcoated & measured by 3 sealcoat co's, I went & looked, closed enough (the numbers seemed about right to work with).

6. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

why not go there and measure it???

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You can measure on Google Earth without having to go there.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That would be your best bet but if I had to guess 2000 spots will be really close to 20 acres.

9. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

JD Dave is my hero!!! One of these days I will be as good as him, just like rain man he is , ask him a ? and he'll spit the correct answer out just like a friggin computer!! why do we did one we got JD Dave (LOL)

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I find it very difficult to understand a lot of your posts........

I agree google earth is a very nice tool to have in your estimating arsenal, but you definitely need to take the time and go out to the site to make sure you know what the condition of the lot is, what the curbs look like, whether there are now pallets or building expansion that now takes up 1/2 the parking lot and to make sure the property in general is the same as what it was when the image of the property was taken.

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Your absolutely right...and i wouldnt price a property without seeing it-and wouldnt recommend that practice to anyone. But when it comes to measuring, I'd rather do it online, cuz my measuring tape is only 16 ft long and i'm not that good at math.

Plus, It also allows me to see what it is I'm going out to price, and if its even worth pursuing.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. I go to the jobsite and look at it then go and measure it out on G-earth to make sure my estimates are correct. But just going to Google Earth is not so good, because it's hard to estimate time without actually seeing it.

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

So glad everyone bills out hourly for nice size jobs down here.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Really, why is that.

15. MileHigh

Well it's easier to just give your hourly price on equipment, than to figure out a per push price in my eyes.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If I had to plow hourly I'd quit. My whole goal in life is to find the most efficient ways to do jobs and working by the hour takes that incentive away. JMO

17. MileHigh

I'm like that with lawn and landscaping.

But what happens when a storm kicks your arse? and you can't finish your contracted "per push" requirements? Do you just eat the losses?

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean?

19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't agree with you more.

Thats why you price it on a graduated scale for parking lots that are going to take longer to do when there is more snow. 1-4'', 4-8''. 8''+ then there is no arse kicking payup

20. MileHigh

I have a per-push lot that I sub out with that same scale...

Problem is that when a 12 inch storm comes in, and the actual weather measurements are at 7 inches, and you bill out for two separate pushes at 6 inches each, clients ask questions I can't answer....After a while the whole : "that's what we measured on site" won't work.

There are some lots where an entire area never sees the sun the entire year, and other areas get pounded with the sun. The parts with no sun ever can have 3 or 4 times the amount of accumulation than other parts of the lot. Is that a 2 inch push or a 6 incher?

I know you guys are obviously going to bill out in your favor...but do you ever get pissed off clients?

Also what happens when you start pushing a lot immediately at the 1 or 2 inch trigger...and by the time you get 3/4 done...there is 6 inches on the lot? Is that a 3.5 inch push or something?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009