1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Silverado 2500 vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by faughtj, Aug 9, 2004.

1. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I recently bought a used 2000 Silverado 2500 4x4 w/ 85,000 miles. It runs good, but seems to have a problem of a vibration or "lumpy" feeling coming through the seats when it hits about 45 mph. It seems to be worst at this speed, when the trans. shifts into OD. It kind of goes away after 60 mph but it can still be felt, more in the back seat than the driver seat. It's pretty annoying, and I'd like to have an idea of the problem, as the powertrain is under warranty, but the dealer is 1.5 hrs away. I know this truck was towed but never plowed with. I looked at the driveshaft, and it appears clean and does not have any dents, etc. I grabbed the U-joints and they don't seem to have any play, but they do rotate maybe an inch either way where they connect to the trans. case & rear axle. Also, I seem to hear a slight "clunk" coming from the rear end, when first shifting into gear, and it's worse when the truck is cold. I'm thinking it's something in the u-joints, driveshaft or transmission. I'm going to get the tires balanced first but it sure seems like it's drivetrain related as it really becomes noticeable once 4th gear kicks in. Thanks in advance for any advice - Jason

2. intimidator

intimidator Member

It sure sounds to me like you've got some bad u-joints. You have to pull the driveshat to check them properly, chances are the needle bearings are rusted and crumbling. Be sure to get aftermarket u-joints as they are greasable and the factory replacements cost 3 times as much with no way to grease them. Good luck.

3. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

One other thing.. I just took another look underneath. On the front of the driveshaft, there is the small, rectangular balancing weight. It has a coating of a thick substance over it. The weight on the rear is exposed. Is this normal, and could that be part of the problem?