1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 silverado 2500 6.0 hard start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ontario026, Nov 23, 2013.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

My 2000 6.0 has started cranking lots before spitting and sputtering to life during cold start, seems to fire much better if you cycle the key on and off a couple times before cranking. Checked fuel pressure after cycling the key on and off but before firing - 53PSI, while running -45psi, remove vacuum line from pressure regulator and the pressure jumps to about 55psi. no signs of fuel in FPR vacuum line.... fuel pump was done probably 4-5 yrs ago, unsure of when fuel filter was done last, may not have even been done since I have owned the truck I don't really remember, I might have done it when the pump failed .... had about 90K miles on it when I bought it in 07, now has about 175K Miles..... seems to hold fuel pressure after shutting it down, so I don't think it's the check valve in the pump module....

any ideas? I think I am going to throw a new air and fuel filter in it on Monday and see if that helps....

Thanks for any input
    Matthew

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the filter first. It's gotta be fuel related

3. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

rough start

start with the basics and you have. When was the last time you cleaned the tbody, plugs and wires? Does the truck run ok when up and running warm? Intake manifold gaskets are a common problem. run some propane or brake cleaner along the intake manifold runners warm and see if you get the idle to speed up. Again, don't empty a whole can of brake clean along the runner.

4. Biscayne

Biscayne Junior Member

starting

Needs a fuel pump. Had the same problem with my 2000 GMC 2500

5. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

Had the same issue with 2 of my 3 chevys.
    Replaced the intake manifold gaskets. While I was in there replaced the 2 knock sensors, cleaned Throttle body.
    Runs great now.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Run well warm?

Starts up normal warm?

Problem engine cold points to a bad coolant temperature sensor.

7. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Seemings how this was a cpl months ago and he never posted back I'm guessing the fuel filter with +80k miles prob fixed it, anyway I'm an ase certified mechanic with 15 years experience and I can honestly count on 1 hand the number of bad temp sensors I've had to replace

8. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

I have the same. Guess I have some ideas to check now.

9. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Like said earlier start with basics, fuel filter should be changed every 15k milesand fuel pressure needs to be 55psi, fuel pumps are very common or if its an 8.1l like my truck is the crank sensors are pretty failure prone

10. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Realized my batteries were in sad state. Two new matching high CCA units and things are much better. Had fuel filter changed and pressure checked for good measure. Those are in line.