1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 silverado 1500 switched power?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alohazabel, Dec 13, 2013.

1. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

Anybody know the easiest switched 12v power wire to use for a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500?

Either a wire or fuse I can tap into to power my plow?

Color, number, location?????????

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. tyreese27

tyreese27 Member

For my truck I have a wire and fuse in the the engine fuse on the fuse panel and works just fine. Just have to have the truck on to use the plow.

3. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

is it labeled on the fuse panel?

In the cab? or the fuse panel under the hood?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you trying to pwr up?

5. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

im installing an old 2 plug fisher plow with a 9 pin harness on a 2000 silverado, and there is a red wire with a fuse that says it needs an accessory or ignition 12v power source (switched on and off with key).

I was hoping someone would know which wire or fuse slot to use so I wouldn't have to break out a multimeter.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  6. dieselss

Radio, heater, those should be underdash

7. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

2$ test light and 3 minutes you should find one. Get a mini add a fuse and your good to go.

8. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

thanks joey

thanks. i did exactly that.

bought a fuse tap at advance auto, and used a test light to find a fuse to plug it into. easy. thanks.

i have power to the joystick now, but the red light doesn't turn on.

does the plow have to be plugged in for the joystick to power on (fisher minute man)?

9. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

you need the plow hooked up. You may be a minute man but your plow is a minute mount. :laughing:

10. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

stuck.

ha ha. good stuff. it was early when I wrote that.

I hooked up the 2 plugs (2 pin) and (9 pin). The light went on on the joystick, but the plow wouldn't move at all, and motor didn't make any noise.

I ran jumper cables directly from the truck battery to the plow motor, and the motor ran and the plow angled all the way right, so the motor works,

I used a test light to check the motor relay (solenoid). With the truck running, plugs hooked up, and joystick turned on, The test light lit on both small terminals (with orange/ black wire, and brown/ red wire), and the large terminal with wire from the battery, but no power on large terminal with the wire that goes to the plow motor.

I don't have the light harness and relays hooked up yet, but I don't think that should matter.

Any ideas?

11. LON

LON Senior Member

Should not have power at both small terminals.

12. dieselss

Should have gnd at one of the small terminals

13. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

thanks lon and diesel

thanks guys. I had the orange/black wire hooked to the hot side of the battery.

Not sure how I did that. I looked at the wiring diagram on the fisher website about 20 times, and thought I had it all correct.

I switched it over to the ground, and I'll test it out tomorrow.

Hope I didn't screw anything up with it backwards.

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

You should be fine, 12v on both sides won't hurt the solenoid, just won't work...my personality wouldn't have let me walk away without taking 2 more seconds to test it!

15. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

ha ha. mine usually won't either but it was cold, dark, snowing like a *******, and my wife was yelling at me to help her get the kids in bed.

16. alohazabel

alohazabel Member

plow works good now that I have all the wires in the right places

now I just have to figure out the wiring for the lights.

thanks again for your help.