1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Silverado 1500 plow truck??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by polarplowing, Mar 10, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have a 2000 chevy 1500 light duty, and was considering mounting the new hiniker scoop plows on it for next year. (I would of course prefer buying a 3/4-1 ton for plowing but money is tight, and I have this truck available and is about time to put her to work) I am concerned about plowing with a light duty 1/2 ton truck, especially the wheel bearings, ball joints, and steering parts. Does any one else plow with the new body 1/2 chevy/gmc's?? I also have a 1/2 suburban with 7'6 boss straight blade, and she takes out ball joints, bearings, and tie rods every couple of years. And I think that the Sub. is built a little bit stronger as far as the front suspension goes, or am I wrong?? The weight of the 8' scoop plow is around 750# about the same as my boss blade, is this too much weight?? Any comments or suggestions would be great. :)

Ryan

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a 2000 1500 chevy is a nice newer truck. i'd use it to haul your snow blower and snow shovels around and leave the plow off. we have a 2000 2500hd w/ plow that's the lightest i'd go.

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd stick with a 7.5' blade if you're putting one on that truck. My neighbor has a 7.5' Fisher on his 02 Yukon and it sags like you wouldn't believe!!! I keep telling him to get Timbrens and some freaking weight in the back, but he won't listen. So I'd say, sure you can plow with it, but nothing too crazy. And make sure you have Timbrens up front and proper ballast. Also, you may want to go easy with it and be aware that it is only a 1/2 ton truck and cannot handle as much abuse as a heavy duty can.

4. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Thanks

I decided to buy a 2500 dodge cummins with v-blade already on it, and a flat bed. I love it, so I just wanted to say thanks for warning me about heavy plowing with a light duty 1500 chevy, I think she probably would have died after a few plowings. And that would have killed me since I have owned her since new. Thanks again for all of your help.

Ryan:salute:

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Hey, I wish you luck with the new truck! Any pics?

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you made a solid choice. that dodge has a good front axle compared to that 1500 chevy. that cummins should last many years of work.

7. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Pics of my new truck

Here are some pictures of the Dodge Cummins I just bought.

dodge1 (2).jpg

dodge2 (2).jpg

dodge3 (2).jpg