1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Silverado 1500 not starting when raining

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by norcoprop, Oct 24, 2012.

1. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone had advice on this situation.
    My 2000 1500 with 4.3 v6 does not start after it rains, truck can be parked for days and starts fine when there is no rain.Moderate rain and will not start.I change distributor cap,rotor still no start. It needs a couple of days to sit with no rain then will start but starter does not disengage,climb under and tap solenoid straightens out until next rain.Any advice would be very appreciated
    Thanks

2. seeyaa

seeyaa Junior Member

When it does start, take a spray bottle and spray every sensor and wire in the engine compartment. Or on days it won't start, check for spark and fuel.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have not had good luck using aftermarket (autozone, napa, ect...ect...) caps on those engines along with the same style 5.7s. Get a new cap from your local GM dealership and your starting problem when its raining will go away. As far as the starter not disengaging, you will be changing that starter pretty soon. You should do it before you have to replace the flexplate too.

4. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

I have used a garden hose and spray nozzle on fine mist, went left to right front to back over the entire engine compartment. Rear left side (above the starter) is where it cuts it out.At this point changed the cap and rotor with delco parts,no start,check it frequently will not start unless it has had enough time for moisture to dissipate, This start is the only time there is an issue with starter,if it were dry for 3 months straight no issue with the starter, First good rain all goes south

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it not starting or not cranking?

6. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

Starting is the issue,It will crank until battery is toast

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Crank Sensors (dont forget to replace the pigtail) are common problems on these trucks. If you want to throw parts at it.......

8. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

well, being a 2000 plenty of parts have been thrown at it already and this sounds like a fairly inexpensive test.Just need her to get one more plow season under her belt.Thanks for the help i'll give it a try.

9. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Had an older buick that was like that turned out to be a fuel injector.