1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Silverado 1500 4X4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&E snowplowing, Nov 6, 2011.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

I am looking for some help with my truck, It is a 2000 Silverado 1500 4X4, I have just installed a 7.5 Meyer straight poly blade.

My questions are regarding ground clearance. (this might be difficult to follow, but please read on, look at the pics, ask questions, and try to help)

When the plow is NOT hooked up to the truck, the truck sits at 34 and a half inches from the ground to the bottom of the front fender at the wheel well.

I then added 570 pounds of ballast and then started taking the following measurements.

After I hook up the plow, the truck sits at 33 and a half inches from the ground to the bottom of the front fender at the wheel well, and the lower "A" frame (where the angling ram connects to the "A" frame) sits at 2 and three quarter inches from the ground.

When I raise the plow the truck sits at 32 and three quarter inches from the ground to the bottom of the front fender at the wheel well, and the lower "A" frame sits at 2 and a half inches from the ground.

I thought I would turn up the torchen bars a few turns, but quickly found out that the adjusting bolt on the drivers side torchen bar is completely turned in, and has been since delivery from the factory, since the torchen bars have never been adjusted prior.

So now I have no idea what to do, because the bottom of the "A" frame scrapes the road with EVERY little dip, crack, and bump. I can't even pull into a driveway, without it scraping the curb as you pull into the driveway.

Will timbrens pick up the front end. I have never had this problem with my 94 Suburban, and it is a 1500 as well, all I have to do with that was turn up the torchen bars 3 turns.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. B&E snowplowing

More pictures

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

It won't lift it,but it will keep the front end from sagging with the plow attached.If your looking to lift the front end put a leveling kit in,if your looking to keep the front end from sagging put timbrens in.

4. B&E snowplowing

Thank you, but i'm trying to figure out a way to stop the plow from scraping the ground while driving down the road.

Is there such a thing as front air shocks that can be installed, and I can just pump up the pressure, and in turn it will lift the front of the truck, as well as installing timbrins.

5. NAHA

NAHA Senior Member

i put some t-bar keys and timbrins in my 2000 1500 she barley moves down when the blade is up

6. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Just do timbrens and you will be fine. Its pretty low right now...

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The main problem is the truck was never made to really work or carry a plow. The 1500's are the lowest end of full sized pick-ups and have not only a softer ride but also sit lower to the ground at the frame. These trucks were made for basic home/garden use and a comfortable ride.

Add a bunch of weight and not only are you going over the front weight capacity but also pulls it down some. Even a inch or so makes a difference as you have found out. I know a bunch of guys get these trucks thinking they are saving money but in the end the repairs will cost you more including the down time.

The only fix really you are looking at is lifting the frame. Timbrens will not help your problem as it is. I find it hard to believe the torsion bar bolt was cranked from the factory. I would bet it has been done when getting an alignment or some other type of work done.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

To me the A-frame looks modified, but I'm no Meyer Expert.

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Where is your ballast in the bed? It needs to be snugged right up to the tailgate to be most effective...and I'd say add more ballast and a set of timbrens.

10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

when I first saw the pictures of the truck I thought it was a two-wheel drive.

11. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

That was my first thought. yes half ton trucks dont carry weight as well, but I think the root of this problem is a previously custom fabbed plow rig. But as whitegardens said, I am no meyers expert.

12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Any that I have seen with the 3 pin system, the plow A frame goes straight into the center pin (or the front - I forget, have not hooked up this year yet).

From the pictures we cannot see where your plow mounts to the pins, but it looks modded and hanging way to low.

13. B&E snowplowing

The plow is hooked up to the centre pin, the A frame and truck mount are all orignial equipment right from Meyer, I have never had this plow welding in any way, and have had the plow since it was brand new.

As mentioned before, I used to have this plow on my 94 Suburban 1500. 4X4, and never had a problem. On my Suburban I turned up the torchion 3 turns and had 4 inch clearance.

I guess these newer 1500's just have weaker front ends.

Looks like I might just replace the torchion bar keys, install a set of timbrens, and hope for the best.

14. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Only the regular cabs in half ton came with the snow plow prep package. Your extended cab most likely has the 3600 lb torsion bars, not the 3925 lb that reg cabs with the prep package have. I'd try the timbrens first, and if they're being crushed by the weight (they will split open I've seen it) you'll need to hit the local junk yard and get the stronger torsion bars!

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Whats the FAWR on the door sticker?

16. B&E snowplowing

Front 3925 pounds. Rear 3750 pounds. Total vehicle weight is 6400 pounds

17. B&E snowplowing

OK, so I think I have everything figured out......

I was able to turn up the torsion bars 2 and 3/4 turns, I gained a full inch, so I figure I will put a set of timbrins on,and with the 570 pounds of ballast I should be ready to go.

One last question, by turning up the torsion bars only 2 and 3/4 turns,and only gaining an inch, should I still go get a front end alignment.

18. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

yes absolutely or your front tires will be trashed in no time.

19. mayhem

from Peru MA

Go get a lifetime alignment. It'll cost you double the cost of a one time alignment, but you'll recoup that over the next couple years pretty easily, especially if you find the summer ride harsh and want to turn the bars down a few turns every spring and back up in the fall.

20. Squires

Squires Senior Member

where can you get a lifetime alignment?
    never heard tell of that before