1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 sierra stuck in 4 hi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joedafs, Apr 19, 2010.

1. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

I have my 2000 sierra 2500 stuck in 4 hi, when I push the 2 hi button, it will just flash for a while then switch back to 4 hi. If anyone could help it would be much appretiated.

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i've heard a lot about this happening. I think it has something to do with the actuator motor on the case or something. Someone elaborate please?

3. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

I hope its an easy fix. anyone with some information would be much appreciated.

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Either the push button switch or the encoder motor on the transfercase.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

might not do anything but try with the truck in neutral. doubt it will work but worth a shot.

6. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Mine used to not work when it was cold. Drive it 2-3 miles and it would work great all day.

7. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

is there any way of checking these? I would hate to start throwing money at it.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Take it to a shop with a scanner.

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I've had luck disconnecting the positive terminal and grounding it out with my wifes blazer. I think a chip somewhere gets a static charge over time. It does it every year or two since we've had it and that has kept it working O.K.

It's worth a try anyway.

10. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

bump , anyone have any other ideas?

11. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

If you don't want to throw parts at it, take 2COR's advice..........