1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EGLC, Dec 12, 2012.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I just picked up a 2000 F450 original owner 7.3L 84k miles garage kept.

Are there any upgrades or anything I should replace on truck?
    I've heard of the fuel tank upgrade & also a larger relay for the glow plugs??

2. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Coat the oil pan with something so it doesn't rust or is slower to rust, I used por-15 because I had a few spots on mine. I would get a bigger air filter, search for Napa 6637 its an easy but effective mod. Locking hubs I would replace with warn premiums, takes about 30 minutes probably. I would do an oil change, fuel filter change etc. As for the fuel tank, that is definitely on my list, the tank is a terrible design, you have to pump very slow. I don't know if you need a larger relay, but a lot of guys like the stancor relay, it lasts longer than Ford's. Check the coolant and see if you.can smell or see any diesel in there, if so, injector cups are most likely cracked. I have put a ton of money into mine this year, and I hope it lasts. I would also consider a tranny cooler and an open exhaust. There is a lot that can go wrong but it is a great engine.

3. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Sounds like a great find. Any pics?

4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Assuming it's a dump? What did you pay. stick or auto?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

air cleaner,,,exhaust,,auto trans......upgrade it.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

as was already said, 6637 air filter, dump the muffler, add a pyrometer, check the oil pan for rust, check the ball joints and tie rod ends. ball joints and tie rod ends usually need replacing between 90,000 and 120,000 miles.
    about the best deal on the 6637 can be got from Clay at riffraff diesel.:http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
    he also has great prices on just about anything else you will need or want to add.
    a nice DP tuner with the 80 economy and 60 tow tunes will wake that engine up.

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I just put the superchips flashpaq in my 02 350 7.3 and it was money well spent it was about $350 and came with ,fuel econamey, light towing, heavy towing, and performance. The performance option says only tow up to 6,000 lbs on a 250-350 and I think 10,000 for a 450-550. I have to say you would never think the truck could move like it does with one of these. Even the heavy towing setting is great because it tweaks the shift points to hold the gears out a little longer and a few other things. The flashpaq says it adds something like 110hp and 200 ft lbs of torque, don't quote me on the numbers but it was something like that, and you deffinatly feel it. Also deffinatly check that oil pan !!! My 02 has 50,000 miles and was garaged and I notice a some rust starting on the side of the pan a couple weeks ago . Good luck with it

8. ducaticorse

from we

Watch out that you don't accidentally leave your chip on high boost while towing or youll fry your tranny.

9. dieselss

Watch for oil leaks at the HPOP fittings, at the pump and the heads. If you develop an oil leak under the tk and you think its a rear main.....chances are it ain't. Theres a drain in the valley and all the oil goes there and drains onto the ground so look up top first

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

11. dieselss

Nice looking rig !!

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a hot truck, good luck with it. Does the chip box come off? Why this truck over your other one?

13. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Dont you allready have one 7.3?

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Wanna sell????? That's a sweet box with the grain sides.

15. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

oh dont fear, it will be for sale in less then 12 months!!!!!!! haha

16. ducaticorse

from we

She's perfect, in everyway... How much? I've got a 99 350 dump with 54k on her. Needs manifilds and some other exhaust/turbo work. I'm painting her black and upgrading the rear springs and putti.g a box similar to yours on the back.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When I had my '00 I'd carry a Cam Position Sensor and a Glow Plug Relay in the glove box, On mine the Relay's would last about 60k and CPS about 90K.

18. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

If its an auto i would change the fluid and install a 6.0 tranny cooler,lowers temps by 50*,D.P Tuner with high idle and 60 tow,also replace the o-rings on the fuel filter housing. Great truckThumbs Up

19. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

That is one clean lookin truck

20. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

The box comes off.

NEW : OLD

4x4 : 2x4
    1 owner : 3 owners
    12' dump : 9' dump
    Regular Cab : Crew Cab
    ZERO rust