1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 NBS Vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, May 9, 2011.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

2000 Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4. Feeling a vibration that seems like its coming from the front. Its speed dependant. I have also recently started hearing a clicking/pinging noise from the front if I'm moving at slow speed in the driveway, almost sounds like a the sound a metal flagpole makes when the wind plows the flag and the metal grommets ping against the hollow pole. The noise gets louder in 4wd, but I cannot feel anything through the steering wheel or pedals.

I'm thinking u-joints in the front driveshaft or maybe a bent shaft, but wondering if anyne has another suggestion. Obviously this is better to find and fix now and not ignore hopeing it'll go away.

Over the winter I had both front wheel bearings replaced as well as the driver's side CV axle assembly (due to a torn boot when I tightened the last bolt on the bearing). I'm skeptical that the noise is from the front end or the garage would have caught it and soaked me to replace it.

Truck rides rough due to the vibration but does not seem to have any loss of stability or directional control.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the front D-shaft and go for a test drive. If the noise/vibration is gone then you know you're on the right track for needing U-joints.

3. mayhem

from Peru MA

I was wondering if that was safe to do...figured it was, but you never know. Just pop the nuts off the yoke and pull the shaft out, right? Safe to assume I don't want to leave it out for an extended period?

Is there a test for bad u-joints or obvious sign of physical wear? Slop in the driveshaft or clunking noise or something?

Thanks.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can run indefinitely without the D-shaft, or until you get stuck and really wish is was on there now. :D

Yes just a few bolts and cut the metal band from the boot at the T-case end and work it off. Simply working the joints by hand once you have the shaft removed will probably reveal they feel too tight (dry), notchy or rough. But if it's a high mileage unit and you have the shaft removed anyway it's a time saver to just replace them regardless at that time.

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

Yeah, turned 140k last Thursday. Bought it with 90k and I've never replaced them. Don't know if they were ever replaced, so its probably certainly due regardless.

Thanks again.

6. mayhem

from Peru MA

Got under there last night, the joint coming out of the transfer case has about 1/8 of a full rotation worth of slop in it and when I rotated the shaft I could hear the noise thats been bugging me.

So its off to NAPA I go today...might as well get the rear shaft joints too and do them all. Any tricks I need to know? Never changed U-Joints before but it looks fairly straightforward. Do I need to grab any gear oil too to top off the t-case or front differential when I pull the shafts out of there?

7. mayhem

from Peru MA

Unclear on the removal bit. I see the 4 bolts that hold it on the front yoke, the part that goes in the t-case though appears to be one piece. If memory serves there is a button release on the shaft that will allow me to putt it out ot the t-case like the PTO shaft on the back of a tractor...but if I do that I leave a hole in my transfer case allowing dirt in and tranny fluid out, right? Is this where I'll see the metal band you refer to? Like to remove the driveshaft so I cna bench the thing and work on it at my leisure instead of trying to rush it.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing holding the shaft in the T-case except the boot and it's band clamp. Once you cut the band loose the shaft can be removed from the T-case. It's just a male/female splined deal. No fluid will be lost either.

Now with that being said, sometimes the splines do get a little tight so it takes a little tapping to get them apart but there's nothing technical about it, just a little gentle persuasion sometimes.

9. I HATE RUST

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

My 03 with 110,000 miles just started making a sound just like that when I come to a stop when the motor is still cold and in the first 10 seconds after I start it up. I am not feeling any vibrations that I can tell. The interesting thing is at my work we have a brand new GMC dump truck that makes this same noise so idk.

10. mayhem

from Peru MA

Got the front shaft out last night around midnight. Took a good 45 minutes to get it unfastened, most of that time was spent getting the band off the bot by the t-case, another 15 minutes of wiggling and a few harsh words at it and the thing finally came out of the t-case. Truck rides alot more smoothly now, I'm betting the rear u-joints are in need of replacement as well.

Now I've got the driveshaft on the bench and I've got the new u-joints...I'm guessing the swapout if relatively straightforward and the real challenge will be to get the thing back into the truck. Any tips for swapping the u-joints themselves? I opted to soak the things in WD-40 to help loosten any rusted clips or clamps and will have a look some evening this week at it.

Also, what do I replace that steel band with on the boot? Just a hose clamp ok to use or do I need to locate a Chevy dealer and order a clamp?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

se a plastic wire to to refasten the boot. Hose clamps have too may sharp edges and tear the boot up rather quickly. Not to mention on an Autotrack equipped truck such as yours maintaining the balance of the D-shaft is important and the offset weight of a metal hose clamp is enough to create a new vibration, which goes against the whole point to the repair in the first place.

If you new to changing U-joints I'd recommend having someone with a little experience with them assist you on you first ones to save yourself some grief and possibly some prematurely damaged parts too. U-joints aren't complicated but done incorrectly will cause you more problems than you're trying to solve. If you can't find an experienced helper at least dig around on the net, I'm sure there some good step by step writeup's on them.... probably even some videos if you look enough. If you find one that recommends whacking on the yokes with a hammer move on to another writeup because contrary to popular practice that isn't the proper way to do it.

12. mayhem

from Peru MA

The first 5 how to replacement articles I've read all say to tap the old joint out of the yoke with a hammer and a socket or other stiff implement to apply the striking force on the old joint, not the yoke.

Is this the wrong advice you were referring to?

The process looks fairly simple except that I didn't mark the alignment of the shaft to the front differential...not sure how significant of an issue that is. I assume that after I get it reassembled if I notice significant vibrations that I can just rotate the alignment 180 degrees.

I accidentally tapped the 4wd button while moving yesterday...should have been a non issue I should think as I was only moving about 30mph. The transfer case made a sound like a garbage disposal. I stopped, shifted back to 2wd and no noise...shifted back to 4wd while stopped and no noise even up at 50mph, but then when I shifted back to 4wd at about 20 mph ot made that same noise again. Thoughts? Something to do with the lack of a driveshaft in there or is this a secondary issue I should address while I'm half disassembled and its nowhere near winter?

13. mayhem

from Peru MA

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Without a press you will of course have to pound or press (with a vise) the joint caps out and then back in during assembly, just don't pound on the D-shaft yoke itself. Guys often do that in order to break the U-joint caps free and it very easily distorts the ears of the yoke in the process causing new problems. The video is ok but he overlooked or didn't show cleaning the rust/corrosion out of the yoke holes before installing the new joint. So be sure to do so with a little sandpaper.

There's likely nothing wrong with the T-case. You simply can't (and shouldn't have) engaged 4WD at speed with the D-shaft removed on an Autotrack equipped truck. Without it there's nothing to bring the 4WD components up to road speed before it attempts to engage, thus you get the blender sound. So be sure to stay way from the buttons until you get it re-installed and all should be good.

This is also a good time to check the fluid levels in both the front diff and T-case if it's been a while since it was last done. They're two of the most often overlooked components during routine services so while you're under there installing the D-shaft would be a good time to check their fluid levels.

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Got it, thanks again B&B! A real life saver.

Should I just top off the fluids as necessary or are there convenient drain plugs and I should just do a full fluid change? Likely never been done...at least not in the last 50k miles. Do you have a recommended fluid you like to use?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't know when they were last serviced then doing a proper drain and refill would be a good idea if you're looking to maximize their life. They're both easy to service just be sure to use the correct fluids. For the front diff any brand name dino based 80W-90 is fine or if you'd like to upgrade to synthetic a 75W-90 fluid would also be a good choice. The T-case is a little different in that it needs it's specialized Autotrack ll fluid that is only available from the dealer so it's not quite as convenient but is necessary to do it correctly.

Both the diff and T-case have drain and fill plugs so there's nothing difficult to servicing either.

17. mayhem

from Peru MA

Fantastic! Thanks again.

18. mayhem

from Peru MA

OK, I've been beating ym head against the wall for awhile and maybe I need some fresh perspective. How the heck am I supposed to get the little snap rings off the old u-joints? I can't get a scredriver in there, nor any other tool at my disposal. I pulled one of the free caps off and verified that they have the C-shaped snap rings that go on the inside of the yoke, not on the outside of the roller bearing covers...but I just can't get a grip on them. I've been soaking the old joints in PB Blaster daily for a few days but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I googled and youtubed for answers on how to get them off, but all the procedres I've found all just say "remove the snap rings" as though its the easiest part of the whole operation, so I've got to be missing something.

19. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Have you tried snap ring pliers?

20. mayhem

from Peru MA

Before I started this process I had never heard of them. All the DIY writeups seem to say to use snap ring pliers if your joints have the external spring loaded snap ring that goes on the outside of the roller bearing cup, but for the C- shaped rings they all say to just pop it with a screwdriver and a hammer, the mimplication is that there isn't a specialized tool for these kinds of rings, but I don't actually know that.

Is there a snap ring pliers for the kind of rings I'm pulling out?