1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 NBS 6.0L oil pressure problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Nov 18, 2010.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 2000 NBS GMC 2500 with a 6.0L and about 166K miles on it. I noticed lately that the oil pressure gauge seems to be acting funny. Hot at idle it shows about 50psi (using 10w30) but the gauge "flickers" a little bit sometimes between about 45-55. When I start to drive the oil pressure climbs like it should and at 1500RPMs, 45MPH the pressure is about 60-65psi and at 2000RPMs 60MPH the pressure is at 80psi, this is at full warmed up. No noticeable difference in how it drives or any ticking.

I talked to a few people and have heard that the 6.0L has a screen inside the front cover where the oil pump is and that it can get clogged. I've never really worked on the LS engines before, anyone have any experience with this?

Tim

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Never heard about this sort of issue on a Chevy motor, but I know that alot of early to mid 2000's Audi motors get this way. My wife's 2002 A4 with the 3.0 V-6 threw a low oil pressure light at me. I dumped some seafoam into the crankcase to help dissolve any crap I could, drove it a couple hundred miles and did a piping hot oil change so the oil would pull any gunk off the pickup tube screen. Did the trick for me.

I'll have to look at my truck's oil pressures and see what I have...I have a Silverado thats basically the same as your truck. 2000 NBS 6.0, 135k miles.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Try cleaning the contacts on the oil pressure sending unit sensor. There was a bulletin later in the years for this.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And when that doesn't work replace the sender. Rather common issue once there's some age involved..

5. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I hope it's that simple, where is the oil pressure sender at on the engine? (Never mind, I found it back on the engine on the drivers side)

thanks again guys

Tim

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

Finally bought the sensor and the socket to replace the old one, seems to be a little better but I need to drive it more. However for some reason I can not get the intake cover back on, is there a trick to this?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not really any tricks, throw it on and runs the screws in. :D