1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 K3500 with 6.5

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by K&N Snow, Feb 17, 2009.

1. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I have lots of blow by and some knocking. I don't think it has much life left. I am willing to drop a new engine in it but I'm thinking of just replacing the truck. I would dump the truck and replace it with a Skid Steer but all my other plow trucks are to small to pull my trailer. Has anyone replaced a 6.5 pro or cons I would buy a new chevy 6.5. any imput would help

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Are you sure it's a motor? How many miles? It sounds like an inejctor to me. Blow by could be a vac pump too. Reman's are big $. Easy job though.

3. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

how much blow by can the vac pump cause? I was pulling my trailer loaded with just pushers and I blew the dipstick up at least an inch. it could be injectors but I haven't lost that much power.

4. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

120,000 miles I bought the truck with 30K on it and all I've used it for is plowing and pulling my trailer

5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Take it to a diesel specialty shop for a second opinion. It shouldn't be toast with only 120K even with heavy plowing and towing use. If the problem can be fixed for much less than a new motor it would be worth it. 6.5L motors aren't known for their power or reliability so if the motor is actually blown, the question becomes "Is it better to upgrade now". You could score a D-Max LB7 truck for about the cost of a new motor in the truck you have now and get a big boost in towing power and reliability. Even with a blown motor, your current truck still has some salvage value too.

If you haven't already been there, spend some time at www.dieselplace.com for more info than you can stand on Chevy diesel trucks. Their 6.5L forum has over 18,000 posts. You'll be reading a while!