1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 K3500 (OBS) - Front frame mount area damage repairable?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JFon101231, Jun 30, 2010.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I am looking at a 2000 K3500 for sale. A little rusty, but the price is decent and it comes with a 3 plug MM1 8' plow. Problem is the driver's side push plate is missing. The bolts appear to have sheared out the bottom (if memory is correct) of the frame. There is also a piece of metal (maybe like 2x3") missing on the frame a few inches back, where the frame comes up at about 45* before flattening where the mount would bolt. It doesn't look, based on the PS, that this would have been caved in by impact b/c it doesn't seem any force would be directed there, but it would seem more that rust was an issue and weakened the steel in both spots. Could I just take this to someone who does welding and have them fab/weld in a plate where it bolts and a new patch panel for the other spot and be fine w/ a new push plate? The plow itself seems ok, but i have to double check again b/c i saw the truck after the plow.

Also, since obviously the plow isn't on the truck, is there a way to test the plow functions, at least the pump, by just pulling the truck over to the plow and connecting the plugs?

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

I would have to assume that most good welding shops can fix that problem for you, since I am sure that they have seen situations like this before. Make sure that the frame isn't tweaked in the front up or down or left and right, or that side of the frame is pushed back. It would take a lot of force to shear off a push plate and obviously that side only hit something. So make sure the frame itself is ok, and if it is then have a welding shop fix it. Also, to test the plow, just pull the truck up, hook up the plugs, and test left, right, up, and to push the plow down you will have to put the joystick on float and manually move the lift arm down because there will be no wieght pulling it down. Good luck!