1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 K2500 7.4L engine oil burning odor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sqdqo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I have a 2000 Chev K2500 with a 7.4L gas. I use it for plowing snow and when pushed hard I regularly get an oil burning smell. I have had it in to the reapair shop twice now, first time they said it was the intake gaset so I had it replaced for $400.00. I kep smelling it after that and I was then told I had leaky valve cover gaskets so I had them replaced for $200.00. I still get a fairly strong oil burning smell after pushing the truck hard. Any ideas?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

It's a 12 year old truck, keep an eye on the fluids, maybe put in some motor honey to help & quit pouring money into it. Btw I have a '99 3500 with the 7.4, that's what I'm doing at least.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you actually losing oil?
  4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

When I first bought my 98 K3500 with the 7.4L I had the same problem and it was my valve cover gaskets which I replaced myself. Have you tried looking to see If you can see if any area is smoking after driving it for awhile.?

5. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I don't see any fluid loss and snow has stopped falling. Will have to wait until next season to see how it performs
  6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

x2 on spending money. what a crappy shop. they replace parts but don't actual fix the problem -that's why I do stuff myself...BTW the 7.4's are known to drink oil, I talked to a guy that switched to a 6.0 in 2009 because of it I would just keep adding oil personally -$600 of oil is a lot of oil, just saying..