1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 K2500 4x4 help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fulltiltwill, Feb 9, 2010.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I have a 2000 K2500 classic body style with push button 4x4. The problem is that I have no 4hi. It goes in and out of 4lo just fine. I have replaced the dash switch and the transfer case motor assembly. I assume that the actuator is good since the front tires spin in 4lo. I have plugged and unplugged the connections that I could see. Is this a more serious internal problem with the t-cass or is there something else I am missing.
    Thanks for the help.
  2. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Look for the simple things.

Does the light come on? Does it Flash?
    Does it make noise when you press the button?
    I had a 20amp fuse in the fuse block in my truck blow one time.
    I also replaced the small actuator motor under the truck once.

Hope this Helps.
  3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

yes the light will flash when i put it into 4lo and then the 4lo light stays on. Nothing happens when I try 4hi. When I am in 4lo and go to hit 4hi lights flash and then it goes to 2hi. The fuse is good. Didn't think it was the switch because the lights worked. Got a new one and still the same thing. Just tiered off spending money on parts that are not broke.
  4. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

First off with all trucks, you must be in Neutral before switching to 4lo. So I am unsure how you are goign into LOW.

Try and put the truck in Neutral then push the 4 hi button. Does it light up?
  5. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

i believe there is also a module behind the switch/vent area that could go bad. i know they used to be common on the older tahoes suburbans.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the encoder motor and attempt to shift the T-case into 4hi manually with an adjustable wrench. Should feel four specific detented shift positions. May be an internal mechanical issue.

Did you actually check the electrical connector on the encoder for any damaged pins or corrosion? A good scanner can tell you more too if anything electrical related is going on out of the ordinary.