1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 GMC K1500 rear end jolt

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AClearerPath, Jan 16, 2007.

1. AClearerPath

AClearerPath Junior Member

I know that Gm is known for its rear end cluck when changing from forward to reverse or shifting gears, but my 4X4 Auto 2000 1500 is really making a loud cluck and jolting a bit on all turns at any speed. The noise and shake occurs as soon as the wheel is straightened out after any turns, or any time I turn in reverse and shift to forward. It seems to be getting worse very quickly, happening more often and more violently. I can't even get 50 feet up the road. Any Ideas??

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well first and foremost, yes this was discussed recently, check your u-joints. That is probably going to be the problem

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does your truck have the G80 locking diff option? If so,more than likely that's what is causing all your clunking and jolting during turning. I've replaced many of these due to them getting stuck in "lock" and binding up in turns.The first thing I'd do is jack the rear of the truck up and turn one of the tire's.If the tire is very hard to spin then the clutches are stuck together in the locker or the flyweight governor is damaged in the diff carrier.If it's stuck clutches you can usually fix them by doing a fluid change and adding TWO bottle's of GM's limited slip additive along with the correct synthetic oil.