1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 GMC 2500 tuneup and column rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Sep 28, 2005.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

i have a 00 GMC 2500 with the 6.0 auto 4x4, it has a 114000 miles and it runs great. However i don't know when it had a full tune up so i was thinking of changing spark plus, wires, air and fuel filter and the PCV valve. Should i go with all AC delco stuff? Anything else you guys recommend? I also have a rattle in the column that someone told me they all do and the dealer just packs them with grease? Anyone have any info on this? Thanks for the help.
  2. Brett K

Brett K Member

If your gas mileage has dipped at all, replace the two front oxygen sensors. AC Delco will give the best results. Stay away from Bosch anything. They may be a great product but many people have problems with their products on GMs. Check out fullsizechevy.com and check into some technical write-ups on the intermediate shaft lube procedure.
  3. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

We used to repack them. I believe now that they had an "new" intermediate shaft for those trucks. I know they do for the cars, can't remember on the trucks.........been a while since I did one.

If you R+R it yourself, make sure you keep the steering wheel the same in relation to the front wheels. The airbag clockspring could break if the steering wheel gets turned "out of phase" with the front wheels.
  4. fastx01

fastx01 Junior Member

I have a rattle in my column, but i think its from my nephew putting quarters in it thinking he can drive it like one of those rides in front of K-mart
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  5. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

truck maintenance

obrut, I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 ECSB 6.0. I use nothing but AC Delco parts, and I've never had any problems. GM has a new pcv valve that is used on their trucks that is supposed to help reduce oil consumption. The new pcv valve (GM P/N 12572717) is known as a “fixed orifice” pcv valve. It does not have any internal moving parts, and will not rattle when shaken. I know what you mean with the steering clunk, I bought my truck with 32k miles and didn't notice it. Now with 79k miles, it's getting noticable. There is a company called Borgeson & Mullins, they make a replacement steering shaft for our trucks. It is pricey, but they say it's supposed to eliminate the clunk.

6. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

The steering shaft problem can be fixed easily w/ a grease pack kit you can purchase from the dealer for $11.00.
    Takes about an hour to install w/ pretty basic mechanical skills and tools...