1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 GMC 2500 questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tim975, May 27, 2003.

1. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

:help: Hello everyone, I've got a couple of questions for all of you, hope you can help. First of all, right now I own a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison. It's a lemon and it's going back. In 5-6 weeks I'll be buying a 2000 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 (it's not an HD) ext. cab short bed. As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it, it's my first extended cab! :drinkup: First things first, I made sure it had Snow Plow Prep, which it does :D (4500 lb. GVW front), 3.73 gear, dual batteries, 6.0 Liter, 32k miles. I'm seriously considering a Western 8.5 MVP plow. My buddy told me to give thought to the Boss 7' 6" V plow, which I have, only for weight purposes (880 lb. Western vs. 790 lb. Boss). I've always ran with the Western plows, but comparing the two, I like the Boss joystick, but I like the Western setup better, especially now that the MVP is available in the Ultramount. I've been offered a really good price on a brand new Western V plow too, which is another reason I'm leaning towards the MVP. I've heard about the welds on MVP's breaking, but I've heard about the Boss plows being hard on trucks too. I'm not worried how fast they turn or raise. I want reliability and ease of use. My 7 1/2 Pro Plow has provided me with 4 trouble free seasons. It'll be my first V plow, but I know it'll be worth the investment, especially now that I have 18 accounts, all commercial but a couple residential, won't touch gas stations! What I want to know is, would a V Plow be O.K. for this truck? Western or Boss? I know a 2500HD would be better for a V, but I don't want the 4.10 gear; with the HD I'd have to go back to the diesel or 8.1, but trying to cut down on payment, and fuel use, since I drive 32 miles one way to work everyday. I need all the input I can get from you, good or bad. Thanks everyone!
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Tim what is wrong with your truck?Thought that the D/A combo was good since GM tested it along time before they introduced it into the market(and I say that loosly):rolleyes: .Will hope you have better luck with the new one.
  3. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Just remember that with the Boss 7'6" v-plow if it is in vee or scoop your tires will run over the snow that spills over the sides. You might want to measure the width of the truck and compare to the width of the boss blade in the vee and scoop position. It might make your choice a little easier. Just my 2 cents worth
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I've heard guys comenting that the 6.0 gets about the same milage as an 8.1. I dont have any experience but it might be something to check into. Dmax gets better milage yet;)

With all the financing available for new .0 for 60 months and 1.9 for 72 it was hard for me to not buy new but I know the financials are different for everyone.

If its under the lemon law then they gota give you new I believe, unless you just want to get outa your current payment. Something to look into maybe:confused:
  5. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back. I've had my 2001 Silverado 2500HD for exactly 1 year this month. I've had it in the shop 9 times since I bought it new last May. I've had it in for steering problems, center console sticking, belt tensioner pulley going bad, and worst of all, the transmission (yes, that Allison transmission that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread). It's actually the torque converter, doing "neutral drops" and surging when I come to a stop. The dealers tell me there's nothing wrong with it, and I know they're lying, they just don't want to deal with it; they have to pull the trans out and send it to Indianapolis to get worked on. So if that's the case, they're gonna eat it. Does anyone here own a Chevy/GMC 2500 (not the HD) with a V plow? The more I think about it, I'm leaning away from the 7'6" Boss V (only considered it for weight purposes). I checked Western's website, went thru the plow selection page, they said the MVP 8.5 was O.K. for a regular cab, but didn't say anything for an Extended Cab. I did both with a 4500 lb. Minimum FGAWR. Now if you go to Boss's website, the 8'2" V plow will work on an extended cab. When you're talking 880 lbs. vs. 860 lbs., is 20 lbs. that much difference?
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

20 lbs may not seem like a big deal,but put it 6 feet out in front of the axle,swinging away,and it is much heavier.The plow frame acts like a big lever.Take something heavy,and hold it in your hand close to your body.It may feel heavy,but you can hold it up.Now entend your arm out fully,and it feels 10 times heavier.Same effect with a truck.

An 8.2 or 8.5 V may go on the front of a regular cab pickup,but probably not an extended cab,at least with only a 4500 lb FAWR.Only way to know for sure is to scale the truck with the plow on it and see if it exceeds the FAWR.Adding Timbrens (to keep the front end up),and using ballast will be the key to not exceeding the FAWR,and making the IFS front end last.