1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 GMC 2500 Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by smh, Jul 28, 2002.

1. smh

smh Junior Member

I have a 2000 GMC 2500 no HD. I had an installer put a meyer plow on it. When he installed it he cranked the torsion bars up with a socket and an air wrench. This put the plow frame at the set manufacturers setting. This summer I wanted to get more stance out of my stock ride so I cranked on them some more. I could only get a few turns on each side before the bolts bottemed out. Now I've got a truck that rides higher on the passenger side than on the drivers side. I've measured from the ground to the fender well on the front driver's side and it's riding about 2 inches lower than the passenger side. I've backed the passenger side off and cranked the drivers side up and the only side that seems to come up is the passenger side the drivers side won't even up. How do I get this truck level again?
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

you need to stop messin with the torsion bars.....Thats the first step.
  3. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

smh you shoud check the following in this order

1 Check tire pres. (if you are measuring from groung to fender well this is relivant)
    2 Make sure truck is on level ground
    3 Make sure all weight is evenly distributed ie. tools, items in cab
    4 if the vehicle is still not level it is most likely that you have fatiuge in the torsion bars

If the torin bars are the problem you can replace them or get a ride leveling kit witch has inverted torsion keys to allow more adjustment.
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Air wrench??!!??!!?? Yikes, that sounds a little scary. I'm no mechanic by any means but from what I understand you need to count the number of cranks on each side in order to keep things even. How can count the number of cranks with an air wrench?? Hope he counts fast...:dizzy:

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I agree... make sure every thing is equal on both sides, then measure to the same spot on the fender well. If you can't get it level then the torsion bars are fatigued like Mo stated. I would replace them if this is the case. Also who ever the guy was that used and air wrench on your bars, run away from him as fast as you can. Like buck stated, typically you have to crank the bars an equal amount of times to get the same amount of lift. When you installer did the work, was the sub frame adjusted to what ever max or min before he messed with the torsion bars??