1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 ford xlt 5.4 lt 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JEFF P, Jun 28, 2006.

1. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Oka guy I need some good honest advice. Im looking at a 2000 ford xlt 5.4 lt ext cab short box flare side. Is it a good plow truck or not ? What problems ? Also how do iI no if its a 7700 like people are saying . Its mainly for personal use along with plowing out my bus,. parking lot and aout 20 other custumers. Please be honest and all advise will be taken. THANKS
  2. J29

J29 Senior Member

If it is a flareside, then it's def. not the 7700 payload package. That is only offered in styleside. The tailgate badge will say 7700 underneath the F150 on those particular models, but the fool proof way is count the lugs. 5 for regular and 7 for 7700. I know plenty of guys who plow with those trucks. Haven't heard of any problems out of the ordinary than anyone else who plows with any other truck. Just check the front axle rating. Make sure you dont overload. Of course, can always look into timbrens or something to that affect. Personally, I wouldn't go bigger than a 7.5 footer. Also, I always add an additional tranny cooler to my plow rigs, but that's just me being very cautious, can never overcool a tranny. 4R70W is a good tranny too. If you can get one that has the 7700 package, I would grab that. Beefier frame and rear end (9.5 istead of 8.8), and better tranny (maybe with the E4OD). Just remember, you can plow with a Ranger as long as you know what you're doing. J.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot of people plow with 1/2 tons. Just don't get a heavy plow and run around with 2 pallets of salt in the back. Take it easy and take your time. Plow with the storm, so your not finding 12 inches of snow to move at every location. You may need to add a bigger alternator and maybe duel batteries if the truck just has the 60 amp setup. And like he said above you need a towing/plowing tranny cooler installed if it does not have one. Up grade the tires too if it has the ( cheap ) "Street Tires". If the shocks die replace with heavy duty ones.
    Or buy a F-250 with all that stuff installed already.