1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by maxcalvada, Jun 4, 2009.

1. maxcalvada

maxcalvada Junior Member

I've been shopping around for a smaller 4wd vehicle for my landscaping business and also for limited plowing of mostly city driveways for some of my clients.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 Ford Ranger -- Super Cab Pickup 3.0L V6 FI 4wd and 3 inch lift. I'm looking to fit it with a 6 or 6.5 ft plow. The seller says this would be no problem. He says the 3 inch lifts would be especially desirable for plowing.

I'm new to trucks and plowing and want to make sure this is good for my needs. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

you will want to go with the 4.0 min or maybe a good used f250

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Compare full size to Ranger size and you will find you do not gain much going small.
    A Ranger will plow driveways and tow a landscape trailer. You pay more for a smaller plow because they are rare compared to full size setups. Some parts for the plow like trip springs are more costly. Your working the light duty truck more then it was designed for. So it breaks more parts and wears out parts quicker. Where a full size truck is designed to work harder then a light duty. Hence you have less repairs and head aches in the long run with a full size truck. Use the Internet and search trucks. Deals are out there. Really try to stay away from used plow trucks. They for the most part are trouble. If you can't repair your own stuff they can be a money pit.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The lift will be harder on the truck if you do decide to plow with it.
    I used to plow with a Bronco 11 and it was awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 6 1/2' blade on a Ranger.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II for 4 seasons. I had an old 6 foot standard Meyer plow with a Western cable controlled pump. It was the DRIVEWAY MACHINE ! I upgraded the alternator to a 100 amp and added a huge battery. The problem I had was it broke parts all the time. It was just not designed to do the work. It chewed through U-Joints, Brakes, Tie rods, 2 front axle shafts, a flex plate and Ball joints. I made good money, but did spend time and money repairing it. So if you do not have the tools and the skill to repair it you may being paying for repairs. You will not get ahead.

6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

If I was in your situation I would go with at least a 1/2 ton truck. I bet you could find a good F150 for about the same price that this Ranger cost. You could run a 6.5' foot plow or a light duty 7.5' with wings and it would handle it much better than the Ranger. If you didn't want a V8, you could find a 4.2L V6. Very reliable and capable V6. Good luck to ya.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to use a Ranger ,Snoway still the best plow for it. A few guys here use that setup and love them.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Of course he did. payup

I would argue that a 3" lift and a small truck is not a good combo for plowing. That lift really increases the leverage on the suspension components. And you will likely have to modify the plow for the lift. Once again increasing the leverage.

I think a small truck is fine for driveways. But the overall economics will likely be same for a big truck.

9. 99rangerunner

99rangerunner Junior Member

really you should have noo problems. last year i plowed with a 4cyl 5spd wrangler with 4in lift and 31s and that had no problem with anything. i mean ya in deeper snow it took me a little bit longer but other then that it was fine