1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 ford psd brake-shift interlock.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shade111, Feb 26, 2005.

1. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Went out and started my truck and then proceeded to try to put it into drive and the shifter on the column will not move.

Anybody else have this problem or know what it is?

I found in the owners manual a procedure to unlock it but what could be the cause?

Thanks.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Could be a brake light switch not working or a bad connection or partially unplugged connector. I had a car with 3,000 miles on it have the park / brake interlock fail,it happens. Sometimes their like computers reboot,try again.
    That's one of the problems with relaying on electronics to control systems. A bad connection can leave a $40,000 truck in park!!!

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Do the brake lights work? if not check the fuses..

4. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Thanks for the responses. I went through the procedure that is in the owner's manual to unlock the shifter. Then I checked all the fuses and they are all good and also the brake lights - all work. I then put the emergency brake on and the light on the dash did not come on, but the brake was engaged. So then I checked the switch for the emergency brake light and it seemed fine. The light then came on and worked properly and so did the shift mechanism. So I think that you may be right about a loose connection or something in that area.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Also drove on very bumpy gravel road, maybe that caused something to come loose!

5. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Those 98-99-00 shift interlocks are troublesome.
    Try putting your hazard lights on next time and see if the interlock works then.
    I don't know why this works but thats what we do on the 2000 bus at work when it wont shift.

You could take off the guard under the steering column and wrap a tie strap around the steering column, binding the linkage in an unlocked position.

If you want to disable the shift interlock thats your call.

Check your turn signal fuses. Thats what did it to me in my 96.
    Pulling a trailer with a frayed harness blew my fuse.