1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f550 v-10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by downtown23, Jul 26, 2010.

1. downtown23

downtown23 Junior Member

Looking at purchasing a 2000 F550 V-10 for plowing and use in construction business. I would prefer to buy diesel for mileage concerns. Would like opinions on gas mileage concerns? Anybody who has had the V-10 in a truck like this would like your opinions. Thanks in advance for replies.
  2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I saw your post on Ford Truck Enthusiasts.
    I've been very happy with my V10. It's got lots of power and is as reliable as the 5.4. I think the 550's have really steep gearing (maybe 4.30's or lower - I'm not 100%) so that should make it even better for pulling trailers and pushing snow.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

9/10 mpg is what you'll see on average. As long as you buy the truck "right" go for it!
  4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Usually 4.88 on F550s. Sometimes 4.55, but that's more on the 450s. Either way OP, that engine will do right by you. Yes the gas mileage will suck but it is 10 times less complicated than a 7.3L, can be fixed by practically any mechanic with gas knowledge, and all you have to do to keep her running is simple maintenance. Only problems the engines had were puking coil on plugs if not properly torqued to 14 lb. ft. because of the 4 threads in the head. Oh, and at 1:00 a.m., when it's blowing and cold and your balls are so far up in your stomach you think their last nights dinner, that baby will start right up. No plugging her in.