1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F450 electrical issue (under hood relay 32)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ziob34, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    have a 2000 7.3 f450 having some electrical issues. When you turn the key on sometimes the dash will start ticking and left side light flashing...engine will turn over but it won't start. The ticking is coming from under the hood relay 32 (you can hear and feel it clicking). Book says its injector driver module power relay. A lot of the times it will start fine other times it will be running and just die (prob because of this issue) happened once when I was driving.

Any suggestions on what to check here already replaced the relay still have the problem. Truck really whips over so don't think its a low battery but i'll check again.

any help appreciated winter is coming!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First thing I'd check is the power block on the drivers inner fender under the airbox,, kinda even with the tire. This is the main power for the cab, remove the nut and inspect all the wires,,, wiggle giggle all of them.....clean up and reinstall. I'd personally start there

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

After following dieselss' advice, have you swapped the relay with another one?

Have the injector wire harnesses ever been replaced?

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a frayed wire gremlin shorting out something in there to me...

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That power block is in a stupid location, right where road spray hits it.

The injector harnesses are a known issue as well, plastic gets brittle and they wiggle around on the other side and cause intermittent runnability issues.