1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f350 psd spring sag

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shade111, Oct 29, 2004.

1. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

First time on, like to know if someone out there has the same problem and if so ideas to raise the front end about 2 to 3 inches ? Also I just bought this truck and what are the bleeders on the front knuckles all about ? Thanks.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Ford actually makes their trucks like that so when you load the bed, it levels the suspension out. I just added a leaf to each side on the front and raised it about 3 inches. :waving:

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You could start with making sure you are running the "X" front spring code springs. If not, put them on, and then see how you like it.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Yep thats what I did on my 01 extended cab PSD.
    Tuff Country was the brand I installed.
    Took about 1/2 a day to install and raised it up about 2.5"

Sorry I will have to climb under my truck and check that one out.
    Maybe you can post a pic of them.
    We are all more than happy to help.

And by the way.......... welcome to plowsite.

5. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Shade Front Sag

Thanks to everyone that responded. I was wondering what number in the vin code is the x for springs? In other words, where in the vin would be the X?

As far as the bleeders in the knuckles, I think maybe they are meant to lubricate the balljoints. I don't know. As far as a picture goes, I am not that proficient on the computer to put a picture on. I am basically a novice when it comes to the computer and how to put pictures on the web.

Thanks again.

shade111

6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You need to look at the factory sticker in the drivers door jamb to see if you have code X front springs. Here is a link that can help you figure out the rest of the VIN and RPO codes that I have obtained from Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139080

Rick

7. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I also forgot to add that the X code spring is part of the snow plow prep. package from the factory. Lots of people have installed them to level out their ride, Excursion or Super Duty.

Rick

8. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

psd ford

Has anyone install timbrens on ford psd

9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Precision Lawn -

I assume you are talking about adding Timbrens to the front leaf springs?

Rick

10. Precision Lawn

timbren

Yes I'm talking about the front end what you think

Thanks

11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Ok attitude!

A lot of people with Ford trucks only install Timbrens in the rear. For years, Ford has been known for saggy/weak rear springs.

The only reason why I asked, is that from time to time people tend to get off the post subject.

12. Precision Lawn

timbren

Sorry didn't read what i wrote i don't have a attidute but if you read what i wrote you would think so sorry and thanks

13. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Precision Lawn - I have installed timbrens on a buddy's 1999 PSD, they made a marginial difference for his front spring sag when loaded with his 8Ft Fisher. We both went to the local spring shop, and got an extra leaf chucked in our super duties, which gave us an exra 800lbs and about 2.0 inches a lift which just above levels those 4inch rear blocks from hell. It only cost us about 400 dollars to get an additional leaf, and installed by a Pro. Whereas Timbrens are about 150 dollars. BTW the lad had to take the bumper of mine and my western plow harness to add it. I felt bad for the guy... :( It does ride like a sherman tank when unloaded so I would drive your finest lady on sunday in it with a full cup of coffee :) I can take some pictures if you like of my front-end so you can see what it looks like with 3 leaf springs and timbrens?

cheers
    Mike

14. Precision Lawn

psd f350

Thanks Mike
    For the information on the front end
    I just look at my front end and it has 2 spring up front
    I don't want to have a rough ride when I don't have the plow on
    If I put the extra leaf up front I will get that right
    You don't think the timbrem will do the job

Thanks Alot
    Frank

15. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I have the plow prep package on my '04 PSD and I still added a leaf in the front as well as one in the rear. I took mine to my local spring shop and the total for all four came in under $700.00. It definitely rides rough unloaded with the tires aired up to the recommended pressure, but the ride is softened with lowering the tire air pressure from the loaded pressure setting.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

16. Precision Lawn

f350

Thanks Rick
    I don't have the snow package
    When I called the western dealer around here they told me I would not have a problem

thanks

17. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You don't need a snow plow prep package to put a plow on your vehicle. My other Ford doesn't have the package, nor did I add a leaf. It sits alright with the plow up in the air, but the extra weight capacity does help its appearance and wear/tear over the seasons.

Rick

18. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Hey Frank,
    I think timbrens certainly help, but in my opinion is not really addressing the issue to the best end results. I have a western as well and have bottomed out my truck going 100km/h on some of those country bridge "holy sh*t" bumps. The Timbrens helped for that, but the best solution for us was to add an extra-leaf, the trucks handel a heck of a lot better when driving with the plow, its worth the rougher ride to me. I have a rubber matted floor (XL) so essential plower's lube (coffee) is not a big deal :). At a bare minuim go for the timbrens, they do make a difference in ride with the plow.

19. Precision Lawn

f350

thanks mike

20. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

The "X" spring code is not in the VIN. I believe it is on the sticker on the driver side door under spring code.