1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F350 Lariat Superduty CC Shortbox 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kingriver, Sep 23, 2011.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

the truck has 7.3 diesel, it has cooler weather starting problems, this spring I noticed this and thought it was battery and or fuel filter, replaced both. Now that we are getting into the cooler fall weather I went out to start this morning - got down to 37 degrees here last night, and the truck wouldn't fire off, tried it twice -- plugged the block heater in for 1/2 hr and it fired right off, what could cause this ? Any suggestions would be great !

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would look at the glow plugs. If only when cold and you know the batteries are good and if plugging it in solved the problem it would lead me to glow plugs. Just an idea.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Agree with Tony here, glow plugs are most likely the issue. I would start by popping the hood, then get out and listen for the glow plug relay. You should hear it click off if it is working. The relay is mounted on the top of the engine. You can also use a tester to make sure you have power coming out of the relay. If this is working you will need new glow plugs.
  4. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

My truck had the same problem, it was an injector driver module. Have a ford dealer run the codes on it, you shouldn't really need glow plugs at at 37 degrees I would think. Does it kind of run crappy when you first get going then get better all at once?
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

most likely the glow plug relay. i have to replace 2 in the past 5 years on my 02 7.3