1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F350 7.3L Diesel 6 sp clutch repair

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Big Red 00 F350, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Big Red 00 F350

Big Red 00 F350 Junior Member

I have a 4x4 long bed w/ 78k miles. Today, my ZF 6 spd tranny was very hard to engage and disengage. No problems noted ever with this except a week or so ago, just a bit of drag when shifting but nothing too serious. Local repair shop says it is bad clutch n pressure plate assembly (OEM item) and recommends I consider a LUK aftermarket clutch n pressure plate assy upgrade kit which incl new flywheel. He says it will cost total $1400 incl labor and will be cheaper for future clutch replace when necessary vs OEM clutch replace.

Anyone got any experience with this and comments?

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Any noise? I'm certainly no clutch expert but have done a couple of them. Throw out bearing? Slave cylinder...

3. Big Red 00 F350

No noise, just diff to engage and disengage. Once engaged, tough to disengage. When clutch pedal pushed in, does not want to release.

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Sounds like the slave cylinder. I had the same problem on an older 80's truck years ago.

5. Big Red 00 F350

Thanks, I will go over to the repair shop tomorrow morning to see if it is the slave or what.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard of the clutch fork(? I think) wearing out on these trucks. I don't know for sure if that is even a real part name, but try the dieselstop.com for more info. Do a search under your year truck. If you don't have a diesel, still check the posts they should apply to you.

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I was thinking that...but they don't usually happen over night but get progressively worse.

8. Big Red 00 F350

found out the clutch disc assy was bad. one of the 3 springs came out of holding slot since the slot metal had broken at the corner. had them replace with upgraded LUK clutch assy kit for a 6spd 7.3L diesel. Wow, what a diff. in operation and smoothness.

clutch disk assy.jpg

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, the Luks are nice except not on the wallet. I've got one and it was a major improvement over the dual mass flywheel.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Bummer OEM failure, that don't happen often to us?
    Guess we are the extreme duty testers and it FAILED!

11. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa

Interesting about your clutch. I have a 97 F150 4.6 5spd. It has went through 3 clutches in the last month. It is not releasing, causing a hard shift into first and bad grinding when moved into reverse. They replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, master cylinder for the slave cyl, pilot and throw out bearing, and the flywheel. Immediatly after the clutch is changed out, it shifts smooth, after 30miles the hard shifting starts... They have been working with the Ford Hotline and so far no luck. I just bought it a month ago, and part of the deal is that they were to repair the clutch. A month later and they are still having the same issues.