1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F350 12' dually2wd--Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by usefullthings4u, Aug 22, 2010.

1. usefullthings4u

usefullthings4u Junior Member
    from gr mi

I am plannning on plowing comercial and long driveways with my 2wd dually 5.4 lt 165" wb.
    Have a 7'6" straight western that I am go to modify to expandable with wings to 9'.
    How much snow will this push?--given the variables
    @7'6"
    @9'
    % of Acer per hour--easy obeject free lot.
    Tire recomendations?
    Salter recomendations?
    Brine recomedations?

2. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

2wd

Don't do it. you need 4x4 if you're doing this for $

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

This is a false statement.

Plowing and/or driving in snow IS doable with 2wd. Plenty of weight in the back and some creativity in the tires is necessary. Take most any larger dump truck with plow, including municipals and so on... all 2wd.

With an F350, however, it would be easier with all 4 turning.

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

90% of the time i plow in 2wheel drive with my f-350 dump, just get a good set of winter tires, its all in foot control when plowing don't mash the fuel

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

good luck IMO....wide open flat parking lot it will work until it get heavy and slippery.

Driveways your going to have problems

We used a f350 4wd that wouldn't go into 4wd on a flat parking lot but it couldn't stack the snow at all.

6. plowatnight

from Mn

2wd

Look call me stupid if you like, Pros. use the right equipment and a 2wd is not what Pros use or recommennd. Go ahead and waste your time and $$ hangin a plow on a 2wd and go knock yourself out. I'll bet a steak dinner at the end of the season now matter what you say, in your heart of hearts, you desire a 4wd truck. Just my opinion.

7. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

We have an f-450 2wd dump, and it works fine, ( it also has a spreader the back so weight does help. All of our larger plow ( 4 l-8000 and 3 int'l 4900 all with 11 ft plow are all 2 wd drive, just make sure you have weight in back or they are useless in heavier snow

8. bskiball

bskiball Member

I have a 1996 chevy 3500 w/ 12 foot dump (2 wheel drive) 8.5 foot western. My brother has used for the past three years, never stuck once. With the v-box loaded and a gentle foot your are fine. Just remember it is 2 WD and you will be just fine. I rarely use 4 wheel drive with my 99 F-350. good luck.

9. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Thanks, my truck empty weighs 7,000, gvw==14,000. A lot of people are saying they rarely use 4wd. Do you carry quick tire chains? Any thinig else that would help me?

10. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

A lot of people are saying they have 4wd, and RARELY USE IT. Larger trucks-mini dumps-are 2wd pushing up to 12' blades. Weight distribution and driver skill seems to be the key.

11. bskiball

bskiball Member

I dont like chains as they can damage surfaces. My 2 wheel drive follows my loader to clean up and do entrances to parking lots. If it ever got stuck I could get it out. I have personally had my 4x4 stuck more times that the 2 wheel drive. Having the front wheels go off the edge of parking lots it what will get your 2 wd stuck. I'm no expert but i'd use the truck you have, especially if your just getting started. Upgrade as you grow.

12. plowatnight

from Mn

2wd

I never said you couldn't do it, I plowed '08 w/ a '83 C70, W/ a landscaping tractor on the back for ballast. Having already had 20+ yrs experience I figured I could handle most any situation. I got through the winter alright, but ice is your enemy and there is NO substitute for 4wd. Like I said before, if you already have your cap set, then go ahead and do it. I hope it works out for ya.

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

is this going to be your main truck? or do you have other equipment to come pull you out?

14. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

the truck i plow in is a f350 4x4 but i keep it in 2wd when i plow, i have a huge flink vbox in the bed for weight and that truck will go through anything as long as its loaded. i also run a f250 which need a new transfer case and we plow with the storm with that in 2wd, no problems.it has a 9 foot straight on the front and i do a 3 acre lot with no cars plowing in a circle in an hour and half with a 3 inch snow fall

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  15. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Thanks for positive and negative feed back

I truely thank everyone for there feed back, wether it be positive or negative.

Basic element most people don't realize is plowing is driveing. Driver skill can avoid problems, or cause them. I have drove my 2wd trucks through some nasty stuff.--450't of snow 3' deep ditch going up hill. That one should have been a tow truck call, but I drove out of it. When I first got myF350 dually, it was just cab and chassis, drove it around town with no weight for half the winter, was just carfull where I went. Then latter and 600lbs of sand bags.

As for negative feed back -- there is a lesson to be learned with everything.

16. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Thanks for the positive additude. I have seen 2wds go places you would NOT want to take 4wds. Driver skill. But 4wd is nice to have.

17. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Yes I would pre fer to have 4wd, but I have to work with what I have, and withen my means.

18. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Ever think of opperater eara?

19. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

It's like 2nd grade spelling class in here sometimes. Don't people have spell check on their computers anymore, or is that "so 2009?"

20. usefullthings4u

from gr mi

Horse shoes and hand grenades

Sometimes close counts. I am very carfull about my wording when it comes to contracts and formal paper work. Although I am not a good speller, I am good at a lot of other things. We can't be good at everything.