1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F250 SD diesel problem, help!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kevlars, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have a 2000 F250 SD 7.3 with 85k on it. The last time I plowed with her, it seemed as though it was not turning over as fast as usual when i started it. Now, when it is running and I raise the plow the radio cuts out.

So, do you think batteries or alternator? The batteries are a little over two years old. I ink alternator is original.

Thanks for your help.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd test the batteries, one of them can have a dead cell. It doesn't really matter how old the batteries are, I recently had a Interstate Mega Tron 72month battery lose 3 cells after two years, they did replaced them free of charge.
  3. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Thanks, buff!

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can use search on the gray line above.
    Search: Charging, No power, Alternator, Duel Batteries, ect.
    There is hours of reading there to help educate you on the subject.
    It's beat to death every year.
  5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Well first thing is to FULLY charge the batteries, second make sure all you connections are clean and tight. Third start the truck and use a DMM and see what the alternator is putting out.if it is putting out at least 13v then have your batteries load tested. If it is under that mark replace your alternator.
  6. everestscape

everestscape Member

2 things...
    1-Have you had the recall done on the crank position sensor
    2-They make a gear reduction starter for the 7.3 which drastically reduces the energy required to start it up. The stock starter is way under geared...the one bad thing on the 7.3
  7. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Don't know about recall. Will check it out.

I will check starter too.

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like a ground issue to me. Dead batteries don't generally make the radio cut out. If they were that dead, the truck wouldn't run- much less start the next time.

On my F550, the wiring was FUBAR behind the cab leading to the rear lights..and when I stepped on the brakes the radio would cut out and the blinkers stopped blinking. Fix shorted wires and make good positive grounds, all better.
  9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Buswell is right, a bad ground can cause AAALLLLLLL kinds of problems,and they can be a pain in the rump to find sometimes. Check all the grounds to make sure they are clean and tight. Then start testing the rest, when you test the batteries unhook them from the truck and load test them individually.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My -2 did the same thing. Used the plow and radio would cut out, Ended up being a bad cell in the battery
  11. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

That's what it was. One battery tested weak. The other had a bad cell or something. It wasn't even hardly registering on the meter.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

OK, I was wrong. Not the first time, not the last. Glad you figured it out!
  13. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Na Buswell your not wrong, just mistaken. Like I said a bad ground can cause all kinds of hell.

Kevlars, If you havent checked the altenator test it just the same. Make sure it's putting out the right amount of juice. I have seen MANY times where batteries go bad, then the alt works overtime trying to compensate to keep the batteries charged and ends up frying. Guys throw in new batts and thier off only to die 2 weeks later cause the alt isn't charging properly. No vehicle is safe from this hapening, Last winter we replaced batts and alts in an F-250 SD, 450 SD, 550 SD and a Mack tandem dump, all had the same issues.