1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F250 SD & broken column auto-trans shifter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by somm, Sep 23, 2005.

1. somm

somm Senior Member

Anyone else have this problem?

We just crossed 32K miles on the 2000 F250SD 7.3LPSD plow truck, that gets lightly used hauling braked-open-trailer during spring and summer.
    Great engine, great auto-transmission (we full-stop, prior any reverse).
    It's already had its $500, 30K mile,Trasmission flush, fill, and filter change too.

Its in the shop now being repaired (way out of any warranty) for a part(cotter pin??) to link within the "column tube" to the tune of $300, because we just broke the auto-trans, column-shifter lever off the column (limp, it barely got into reverse). We did the same thing to a '98 Econoline Van a year ago. We asked the dealer parts dept if there was any "Super Duty" shifter lever & assembly, because the one on our F250 SD looks the same as what's on Econoline vans or F150's - parts dept says its identical for any Ford Truck.

Planned obsolescence, or 229lbs of sheer midwestern muscle?
    What say you, friends?
  2. wls

wls Senior Member

I just replaced mine in a 93 f-150
  3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

same thing happened to my old 94 f150. went to the dealer and bought the part, I think it was around $100, and replaced it myself.
  4. somm

somm Senior Member

Ford part# (4) F57A-7215-AA "Gearshift Lever Pin", is an aluminum-alloy tube. It's 50% thinner-walled than a 21" mower deck, and a ninth thickness of the alloy stock XLT pickup truck wheels. The sunny beach cracked in two in the upper third!!!

Planned Obsolescence !!!