1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f250 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oppi2010, Feb 4, 2011.

1. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

hi im new to the business. i have a 2000 ford f250 with a 9 foot unimount. the mount i set at 11 inches off the ground. when the plow is on the i think it sits way to close to the ground. i hit some driveway curbs. what can i do to help this.
    what do you think of the 5.4 for plowing

2. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Do you have any weight in the back of the truck? I usually carry atleast 500 lbs of salt in the back. That will also help with traction as well. I still have some driveways that i have to be careful with or i'll hit had with the plow when i'm driving in or out. The 5.4 is an awesome engine. I had a chevy diesel before and believe this engine is just as strong as that was, if not more. So, get some weight in the back and Good luck!! :waving:

3. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

thanks ill get some weight back there what year do you use and what size plow

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

raise the mount

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

5.4 hmm let's see where to start. Oh, be prepared to replace the exhaust manifolds and studs, if not already done. Also be prepared to re-thread (time sert insert) the spark plug hole that blew out a plug and took a COP (coil on plug) with it. I had this happen and now have lower compression in that cylinder. I am not taking the head off till spring. I can keep going...
    T.J.

6. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

i have a 2006 with a 8' western straight blade and prowings. TJS is right about the exhaust manifold, i just replaced the right side at 52000 miles. I have heard about the spark plugs blowing out and was told to replace them around 75000 miles at the most.

7. baldplowguy

baldplowguy Junior Member

My mechanic told me that if it is running fine to leave the plugs alone for that very reason. My truck has 98K. Think I should change them now? I read somewhere that if you run Marvel Mystery oil in the gas for a few tank fulls prior to doing the plugs it helps. Think this is true?

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I bought my truck used 3 years ago and I did not change the plugs...unitl it blew a plug out last month. It has 69k on it now. I also replaced all 4 ball joints, front axle U-joints, sway bar end links, shocks, rotors and hawk pads.
    T.J.

9. oppi2010

oppi2010 Junior Member

i have had no problems besides a motor because i froze it last winter it has around 100000 on the motor and 150000 on everything else i think i have to do the front end