1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F150 triton torsion bars...any troubles...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by daveintoledo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i was told that when plowing these thing break quite often, any truth to this....

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As with anything suspension related Dave, things can generally break or wear at an accelerated rate due to the extra weight of a plow...but to say torsion bars break "quite often" due to carrying a plow is a myth.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bar's

dido with b&b i seen 2 break at the same time on a 2000 f150 without a plow .

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im not super knowledgeable on fords, but i did work in a shop for 4 years, and i do know that the entire front end on that truck is weak, so weak that if anyone remembers, western for a very short time frame, made a special snow plow

it was called the wheel blade, it had a tire, in the middle of the A frame to carry the weight of the blade, designed because the F 150 could not handle the weight

I could be wrong, but i have been told, out of all the types of "light duty - 150/1500" that body style ( 98? to 2003? ) was the worst to pick, or so i have been told

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

f150

i think it can be a good plow truck if used with caution and general good care ,you can break any thing if you try hard enough .just use care and caution ,i think for general light duty use ,and as quick as most new plow's go on and off don't carry it around forever on the truck ,it should perform very well ,if you take the proper suspension up grade's for the front end if needed .:waving:

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

use alot of balast PROPERLY becareful and yeah it could be done

alot of wear comes from the dead weight,...so remove the plow after every use,

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

thatnks for the help....

ive been looking for a used 3/4 ton for 18 months, there just arent any around here to be had...... i think people are driving them till they die, so the 1/2 ton seems to be my onty option around here....

my o/d 93 f150 with the straight 6 plowed like a champion.....

but she is getting so old....