1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f 550

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Tbrothers, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Looking at buying a F 550 to use to spray liquids. Found one with a 7.3 xlt it use to be a fire truck but now has a dump box on it.The truck is really clean, but was windering what should i look for in these trucks? It has just over 100k on the motor and the tranny was replaced about 5k ago. Has had front breaks replaced, upper and lower ball joints done. There asking $16,300.
  2. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Oil pan rust is a big problem with these trucks. If the pan is blistered then the motor must be pulled to replace it. Also the rear fuel tank ,they delaminate on the inside . Usually a truck like that is taken care of mechnically since they just put them in the shop and tell them to fix it and cost is not a problem.
  3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Did you pull the trigger on this? I am looking at a 99, 7.3.. what did you get them down to?
  4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

A 2000 that was a fire truck and now a dump and has over 100000 on it? Seems odd. I am in the FD we do 1000 runs a year and our first due apparatus is an 03 an has 30000 on it and that includes the 1000+ bringing it to CT from Ocala, FL. Department keep trucks a long time. A 550 was likely a brush truck or light rescue meaning less runs? Why did they get rid of it? When was the dump put on? If it was an FD truck for a while it probably had great maintenance.
  5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not true, not true at all. I've had several replaced without the engine being pulled.

But do take a look at them, all the trucks I've looked the past couple months have needed oil pans.

Is that delamination only certain model year? I've heard of it, but never had it happen to any of mine.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Are we both talking about oil pans on 7.3 diesels ? I have heard of people dropping the front end to to them but other then that around here they pull them. Fuel tank delaminations are thru model year 2010 on the 40 gallon tanks that are mounted behind the rear axle. There is a company out now that makes a polly replacement tank for around 700 bucks
  7. unclebob

unclebob Junior Member
    from Kansas

F550 trucks from FD's

It could be a contractor fire truck with this mileage. Contractors have agreements with the forest service, etc and would have trucks that could be in Georgia one week, and in California a few weeks later, thus higher miles. Although the miles could be a lot of highway miles, they could possibly have some very rough off-roading on the fires.

Also, this past January I sold my 99 F550 4x4 XLT auto regular cab with 78,000 miles on it and the 7.3 diesel. Aluminum Eby dump, electric tarp and 9' Meyer plow for $17500. Truck was in great shape - good tires, etc.
    Hope that helps price wise.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Cut the motor mount, drop pan, reweld motor mount.

Assuming you know a good welder. Which I do.

I can't recall right now which tanks I have, but several are behind the axle and I haven't had this problem on any of them. But I know it does occur, I just thought they had fixed it along the line.
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

You need to raise the cab to change the pan....
    Unless your willing to compromise the strength of the frame by cutting out the crossmember....
    The front axle does not need to be dropped...
    So...I guess the fuel tank crud is why my fuel pump keeps blowing fuses:cry:
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a C note that says the cross member is as strong or stronger after my welder is done.

The only frame issues are with the '05 and up and Blizzard plows.
  11. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

To each his own...
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You're correct.

All I'm saying is that it can be done without compromising the frame.

Maybe we can get Tatra in here to explain it to us all.
  13. Marek

Marek Senior Member

There are screens in the fuel pump that get clogged with the film from the tank ,it will burn up the fuel pump. Fuel filters catch most that gets thru the screens , the 7.3 injectors can handle alot of the crude that makes it to them but the 6.0 and 6.4 can not. getting ready to replace one tank for the third time on a 2002 with 86k on it. Atleast there is a polly tank to go to now. Ford usually does not warranty these tanks as they try to tell you that you are running bio fuel .They get almost 3k for the tank installed a new fuel pump , and back flushing the fuel and injection system. Real nice for just putting diesel fuel in the diesel tank of your diesel truck. Thanks Ford !!!!!!!
  14. Marek

Marek Senior Member

If they are tanks behind the rear axle pull the top off and shine a ligt into it and you should see silerish stuff floating around. Also run your finger around the edge of the tank and it will be all over your fingers when you pull them out.
  15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, I'll do some checking, but out of 4 trucks with these tanks, not a problem with any.

16. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Do you run low uls diesel ? This is what causes it .
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Ultra Low Sulfer diesel is unavoidable.

Thats all thats for sale for the last few years for on-highway use.
  18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

/\ /\ /\

What he said.
  19. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

more then likely, your going to need valve covers, up pipes, turbo pedistal and god knows what else it may need, its usually easier to pull it, then you can give it a rattle can paint job afterwards
  20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

OK, although of the 3 that I have done, none of them needed this.