1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F-450 diesel engine problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DodgeRam1996, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

2000 F-450 diesel 200,000 miles.

While driving at 55 mpg my truck started to slow down (pedal pressed down the whole time), I slowly came to a stop on the shoulder.

I could start it on the shoulder for a few seconds and it would blow a lot of white smoke. I had it towed to my shop. I've tried to run it, once I got the engine to run for about 1 minute, white smoke everywhere...

Someone told me it's the turbo, does that should right? I would think the engine would at least idle.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If you think it's the turbo, you could pull the air intake to see if you can still turn the fan. My 97 7.3 did that several times, last time it was the IDM on the drivers firewall, the salt burned a hole through the case almost big enough to put your hand through. Best to pull the codes, to narrow the search.

3. DodgeRam1996

Help with Ford 7.3l diesel (no action in Ford forum)

2000 F-450 diesel 200,000 miles.

In general diesel technology is new to me, I'm hoping the engines have basic similarities. The engine in question is a 7.3 liter international (I believe). My question is not getting any action in the Ford forum, so I'd figure you cummings guys might be able to help (I figure there is a reason you didn't go with Ford ;-)

While driving at 55 mpg my truck started to slow down (pedal pressed down the whole time), I slowly came to a stop on the shoulder.

I could start it on the shoulder for a few seconds and it would blow a lot of white smoke. I had it towed to my shop. I've tried to run it, once I got the engine to run for about 1 minute, white smoke everywhere...

Someone told me it's the turbo, does that should right? I would think the engine would at least idle.

Other problems could be glow plugs, IDM module, what else?

Thanks

4. DodgeRam1996

I'll try and pull the codes, what about glow plugs? I also wasn't the last person to fill the tank, what if that person put in gas?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  5. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

get injection pump checked :mechanic:

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

glow plugs are only for starting it, if someone put gas in it it would have probably blown up by now. doubt its the turbo. sounds like an electrical issue, haveyou had the recall done on the cam position sensor yet?

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I was going to mention the CPS, because that is common and an inexpensive place to start, but it's a crap shoot w/o the codes. I've replaced 2 on that engine, but the problem was intermittent when it was going bad, meaning I could get the truck to run again usually after it sat a while.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Bad lift pump gone un-noticed until it nuked the injector pump. Your symptoms desribe it to a tee.

9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

check the pressures on the hpop, may also be your injection pump or injectors. whens the last time the fuel filter has been changed or the cps?

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Could also be coolant leaking into the cylinder from the heads.:mechanic:

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

yea we need more info could be everything mentioned here, i doubt its the turbo unless it blew a seal. pull the intake tube off and see if you see any oil.

12. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Do you a check engine light on? If you do did you retrieve any codes? A good scan tool will be very useful so you can do specific tests.

13. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Before you start replacing a turbo or hi pressure oil pumps, I would do the basic 1st. Change the fuel filter, check the air filter, maybe a cps. Hookup scanner to see what codes are present.

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yes and injectors too

15. DodgeRam1996

Batteries are dead, I've been charging the truck for about 6 hours, and I still get an error when trying to read the codes (OBDII). I'm going to trickle charge the batteries over night.

Before the engine died the truck was blowing white smoke while stopped at red lights....

16. DodgeRam1996

Batteries are dead, I've been charging the truck for about 6 hours, and I still get an error when trying to read the codes (OBDII). I'm going to trickle charge the batteries overnight.

Before the engine died the truck was blowing white smoke while stopped at red lights, does that info help identify the problem?

17. ajslands

Sounds like head gasket

18. ajslands

But hey your like James bond and can blow smoke out you a$$

19. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

This happened simliar to mine. Mine had bad gas tank, was clogging intake. I first tried cleaning it, but ended up replacing it and ran great after. Hope this helps.

20. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

You need to pull codes to get a Idea. There are so many possibilities. I have never seen a cam sensor cause a truck to smoke, usually they just stumble then die. And a 7.3 psd does NOT have a injection pump. Glow plugs will not effect the way it runs. If it was the turbo it should still idle/run but that is something easy to check.
    Robert