1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F-350 4x4 Problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jan 28, 2009.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

alright i have a 2000 f-350 v-10 auto tranny reg. cab manaul hubs with lever on the floor and the 4x4 has worked fine all year. today i get on the highway to go do a lot in the next town and i get up to around 30 mph and the front end starts to shake so i drop it into 2wd and the shake goes away. so i get underneath and front drive shaft u joints are tight, ball joints are tight, front axle joints are tight. so i limp to the lot in 2wd and plow it in 4x4 (works fine plowing and in town to 30 mph about) and i take it home to drop the plow off so i can take it to my buddys auto shop and i go up my drive in 4 wheel high and half way up the low range light comes on ??? :confused: and the truck is still in 4 high. so i drop the plow off it and do some tinkering back and forth in the drive way and 4 low works and when its in 4 low the "low range" lamp is much brighter than when it appears when im in 4 high.. i called a ford dealer to see if this is some kind of thing that means your supposed to check for codes or something like when the o/d light flashes and they have never heard of this. sooo back to the auto shop to let a mechanic test drive it and he comes back and thinks its either the driver side hub or driver side wheel bearing, so that explains the shaking but what the heck is the deal with the low range light coming on in 4 high?

hopefully b&b will chime in and be able to shed some light. i just cant find it conceivable that a bad wheel bearing or hub could cause the low range light to come on... truck drives just fine in 2wd and say im in a lot pushing the 4x4 stays locked in fine. i let it sit in a heated shop for about 3 hours today whille i ran my boss' flatbed dually and it thawed out so im sure nothing is just froze up, its going in the shop in the am when im done with clean ups so they can figure it. its just aggravating the heck out of me trying to search and search for what the heck will cause this :confused: