1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f-350 4x4 not working

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by james731, Apr 11, 2004.

1. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i used my truck all winter to plow and the 4 wheel drive was fine my 4x4 is the electronic shift on the fly

i hadent used the 4x4 in about a month and last night i went on the beach (really soft sand) i was doing fine and then my front wheels decided they didnt want to spin amymore luckily its a ford and the beast was able to drive out of the sand with the 2 wheel drive

i was playing with the 4x4 today in the sand again and it seems that it goes into 4 wheel drive and slips out while driving and the manual hubs dont turn at all to lock does anyone know what may be causing this and how and how much to fix it

p.s. while i was on the beach today at the entrance not even 5 feet into the sand i saw a bmx 320i stuck i couldnt help but to laugh at the guy

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you got a problem with a manual hubs. they should engage very easily. The electronic shift on the fly can be a problem too. They rely on a motor to move the shifter lever and it can get "gunked - up" and not engage fully. The hubs may need service too, they should be cleaned and "lightly greased". The power of the drive train goes to the wheel with the least traction, so if one is not engaging fully thats where the power will go.
    Get the Haynes single model manual for your truck it should have the procedure for checking out if your shift on the fly is working.
    Try jacking up the front end and locking hubs. Both wheels should rotate when you rotate just one. If not one hub may not be locking. If you run in salt water that does it no good either.

3. johnjeffrey

johnjeffrey Junior Member

So, what beach was that? I was at Smith Point and Cupsogue last weekend.

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Try to get info out of the Ford shop manual or Mitchell on demand. You will get an easy to follow flow chart.