1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f-250 v-10?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by exmark1, Jan 7, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at buying a 2000 F-250 4 Door Short Bed truck from my cousins dealership.

The truck is a lariat fully loaded model fairly clean with a minor dent in the passenger box side. The truck is a V-10, Automatic with 163,000 miles on it.

Is this ALOT of miles for this truck? I have no idea if anything has been rebuilt or repaired yet on the truck.
    It seems to run and drive good with only minor wear on the edge of the drivers seat otherwise the inside is great! The truck is black with tan leather interior.

What is something like this worth? Is this just a can of worms that I don't want to get into having that many miles on it already? Any insight in to the V10 motor would be great as I know nothing about them!

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I bought my 2003 ford f-250 with a 5.4 ext cab, sport package w/ black leather 6 disc cd. truck has 119kmi on it and ran great. it had some damage to the rear passenger side bed side. the truck also came with a 8ft fisher mm2 plow. I paid $8400 for it. Here are some pics of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

IMO $5-6k

can of worms? IDK

but it isnt a virgin anymore

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

now to answer your questions on the truck. 163k seems like alot but if it was well taken care of it will be a good truck. at about 130kmi I had to do head gaskets in the truck. that truck is I would say is worth probably $6-7k. I was told the v10's they had some kind of issues with spark plugs loosening by themselves. a ford mechanic I was talking to told me about it. but the v-10's get better gas mileage then the v-8. I get 9mpg with my 5.4 i was told the 6.8's get about 15. if you have anymore q's let me know i will try to help u.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed. MPG's are horrible and with higher miles they start blowing plugs out of the cylinder heads one by one, literally.

6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I had a 2000 V10 ext cab. I only ran it to 110k, the steering wandered, but I guess Im use to a Chevy front end. I never really had any problems with the truck. Pulling 9k lb trailer I got 7mpg, plowing 3.5mpg, and normal driving 10-11. My dad drove it to Oregon, and did get 13 on a tank or two, but I definitely wouldnt count on that. The spark Plug thing is common on the 5.4s and the 6.8. We have replaced them with heli-coils and done head jobs on both motors for the same problems, actually have done more 5.4s than 6.8s, but they are similar.
    I just sold mine for 5800, and it was the only guy I had interested. It was ext cab and not lariat, but those big motor trucks just arent worth a whole lot. Id say if your truck is crew cab, maybe $7000 since it is loaded, but I definitely wouldnt give any more than that around here.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya does the truck wander at all? my truck wanders bad. I changed the ball joints and it didnt do anything.

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

STOP GIVE FAKE INFO

our 2001 F250 with V10 have 255,000 miles and no problem with spark plug out thread and mpg I get 14.5 for F250 super crew cab with long bed.

I been heard several V10 reach 400,000 miles no problem. It was in E350.

9. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

In my 2000, I replaced ball joints, tie rods, stabilizer, steering box, shocks tires, everything and the dang truck still wandered all over. You got use to it, but it was a lot different then getting in a Chevy. Front end was a lot heavier, made for a great plow truck, just not such a good ride.
    And when I was still wrenching, I did put in several spark plugs in v10s and in 5.4s that blew the plugs out. The trucks may go 400k, though I have my doubts, but many of them do blow plugs out.

10. exmark1

I know nothing of the history of the truck to be honest... The dent in the body is nothing compared to what yours was when you got it. It is just a foot ball sized dent I would say.

They are asking $5900.00 for the truck... my cousin is thinking they would take $4500-$5000 for the truck. Seems to go down the road straight, shifts well, runs good etc... I am not "looking" for a truck but it seems like a decent buy!

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Offer them 4k

12. exmark1

I was thinking that... They are pretty much trying to wholesale the truck off. They are a larger Ford dealer that like most are having issues moving large trucks from the lot.

I was going to take it for a drive again tomarrow and see what happens from there.

13. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

I would say fair price? The v-10 is a great motor, which rearend 4.30 or 3.73. I would try to get a 4.30 believe it or not you will get better mileage with the 4.30. I have had the v-10, the 7.3 and now a 6.0 in my 06, I would for sure buy another v10. The spark plug thing is usually only after changing plugs, they have tendancy to wash the threads out when you pull the plugs. I would buy it if I needed a truck as you would have a great ruck there for a fair price.

14. exmark1

I think its the 4:30 rear end not sure though...seems to be geared lower to me. If it was a red truck I would already have it here, lettered with a plow on it! LOL never have been a huge fan of a black truck... jmo

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Gonna ride me for this thread too? I'm headed to Detroit this weekend to buy another truck. You want to meet up so you can accuse me of lying in person?

I drove a V10 Ford for a company I used to Repo for, a few buddies of mine still do, and 2 of them are owners. At 250k, every single one was replaced. It was retired shortly after. Look at half the posts above to confirm the spark plug problem. That truck got 4-6mpg's, but was also worked hard. Another friend of mine has the Harley one with the V10 and averaged 9mpg's until he tuned it, modified air box, and lost the cat. He now gets 11 and is happy with it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  16. exmark1

I could care less bout the MPG it's going to get it's a work truck lol I have heard ALOT about the plug issues that is the main thing that is scaring me away from the truck at this point, I really don't want to have to do a bunch of head work on it! I was hoping to get a few years out of it maybe run it up to 225,000 or so then send it down the road!

17. Milwaukee

Actual how I get 14.5 mpg? Drive like granny that I could do.

if I drive like normal I get 8-11 mpg. you got 4-6 mpg? You have heavy foot.

We change spark plug and no problem. My Dad use torque wrench to follow spec and no trouble.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sounds like it would be perfect for you then. The plug issue isn't bad, you can helicoil most of them without pulling the heads ; )

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's a tow truck, had a load on it 90% of the time ; )

20. Milwaukee

then that ok

we get 4-8 mpg tow 32 or 34 foot 5 wheel camper.

tow truck? Are they good truck than any brand?