1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 f-250 stutters

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Enviouslawns, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

i have a 2000 f-250 and when im plowing its in 4 wheels drive, i put it in 4 wheel hi then lock both hubs but when im driving slow and make a turn the truck stutters, feels like im tapping the gas then tap the brake only when im turning at a slow speed (when im plowing). someone told me thats normal but i dont know. i had a 2007 lincoln mark lt and that was just the shift on the fly with auto locking hubs (im assuming) and that was fine when turning. any input would be great.

2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Is it a stuttering or popping feeling? My 99 f250 does the popping all the time. It is normal in four wheel drive. The only bad thing it could be is your u joints going bad. These will make more of a popping sound and feel.:salute:

3. Enviouslawns

Ya and i can feel a little thump under my left foot...
    Never replaced u joints before they may be original i bought it with 75000 miles on it, are tehy expensive to replace, if thats whats wrong??

thanks again for any input

4. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

problems sounds normal,i would get the ball joints.and u-joints checked thu.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's going to hop a bit when your in 4X4 in some tight turns.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

usally 4wheel drive studders when its on dry pavement

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Sounds pretty Normal, but as others have said check your U-joints and Ball Joints. If you have auto hubs operated by vacuum I would also have them checked as well, sometimes they stay engaged and cause issues, or worse they won't engage when you need them. If they are bad, my advice is just switch out the hubs to a set of Warn premium hubs, that's what I did on my Excursion after two vacuum hub repairs that cost me nearly $600 each time! I found the best deal on those hubs were on E-Bay, $175 shipped to my door NIB!

Your lincoln probably has CV joints up front, hence a much smoother turning experience

Jay

8. Enviouslawns

Went and get it checked out today and its the front stabilizer links and the left front wheel hub seal. funny i was just at the ford dealer and they replaced the right front wheel hub seal and said the other ones fine. $520.00 to get it all fixed, they charged me 700.00 at the dealer for just one hub.

9. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

when your in 4x4 the truck will hop while making slow tight turns. the extreme angle you put the U-joints at and the fact that both wheels are turning the same speed, but one has to travel faster than the other in a turn and that causes your hoping. Thats why the differential was developed and put into place on your rear axle

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I hate to tell you this but, I bet it will still hop, just not as bad. The Lincoln did not hop because it did not have the weight of a plow and has soft ride street tires. The front differential will feed power to the wheel with the lest traction. The other wheel loses traction and it gets the power. Hence it "Bunnie hops" on tight turns.