1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 F-250 SD Front Springs OK?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by zippy1, Dec 3, 2006.

1. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

I have a 2000 super duty with the heavy duty service suspension package. The front end is rated for 4400 lbs. I added a 2 inch leveling kit which adds next to nothing for weight carrying ability to the front. I also added timbrens. Will I be OK plowing with my new 8 FT Fisher HD plow or do I need to get the X springs from ford? My truck only settles about 3/4 inch when the plow is lifted. When the plow is raised and lowered the truck bottoms out on the timbrens. That is what makes be wonder if I need the stiffer springs.

2. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I dont know what cab configuration you have, or how many miles, if you have a extra or crew cab those 4400 springs are not good for that plow, I would think the place that sold you the plow went over the truck beforehand?

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

zippy, I'm not sure if you mean coil springs or leaf springs. I'm not sure when they switched over and I thought it was in 04. If its leaf spring then I would add another spring for sure. If its coil type I would upgrade, we have 5200lb front coil springs on our 06 F250SD and it only drops about an inch when the plow is lifted.

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Springs sould be fine

I have a 99 superduty and it has the 4400# spring with the 2.5" leveling kit and I also put in a 2" add a leaf and my 8' meyers dose not move the front end down more the a 1/4 of an inch when raised.

5. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

My truck is an extended cab with 50,000 miles. It is in great shape. I put the two inch leveling springs in hoping that would be enough but I am not sure if it is. My truck only drops about 1 inch when the plow is lifted. Is that usually the best way to tell if the truck will handle the weight? Does an undersprung truck settle more than 1 inch with the blade lifted? Thanks for the help. I have a feeling that I will have to add another spring.

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Brian Young, They switched over to the coil springs in 2005 models.

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

my truck does not squat 1", but yours doing it might not be the end of the world.

If this is your first year, plow a storm or so, if you dont like it then get the springs, you wont be any worse off.

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The site seems to be having issues, it will not post my reply so i appologize if this is a duplicate.
    My truck is a 2000 F350 PSD RC it has 160,000 on it has had a plow since new. IIRC the spring code on the door jamb says XB which is x-codes up front and the two stage trailer towing package springs in the rear. I have a Western 8'6" pro plow and it is sprung great! No overloads or timbrens needed in front and I can carry a lot of ballast in the rear, usually about #1200. The fronts still hold the truck up nice and high, no notable sagging. Compared to other F350's it sits higher. I agree trying out what you have to see if it works since it will not cost anything to try. But if you need more, IMO get the x-codes timbrens are a "band aid fix".

9. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

the x's are the higher rated spring, the others are either j or v i forget, but if you have a diesel and the heavy fisher, its alot of weight....my gas 5.4 with the x springs and an 8'2'' v plow squatted a hell of a lot less than my friend who has the other springs and the fisher its just an unbelievably heavy plow

id say youre ok, just in for a rough ride when in transport