1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 dump eating pads at 12,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Mar 18, 2007.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I just replaced my brake pads today on my 2000 chevy k3500 dump, after 12,000 miles there wasn't anything left....is anyone else eating pads that fast. It's was just over 1 year and 12,000 miles and they were completely gone. The last set was wearever gold, this set are cheap duralast since the golds didn't go long anyway.

2. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Depends on who driving, what your hauling etc. Actually, 12,000 miles is good. Now if thats all highway, then you got a problem.

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I'm not hauling much of anything, it's a mix of plowing, local driving and highway. Truck averages 9,000 lbs with the tolls in the boxes. It's a long frame dump with L pack so it has some mass. Nothing is rubbing on the front end, pads run free while driving, it's just eating them for lunch. I'm the driver, and my other vehicle has gone 3 years on it's pads and 30,000 miles.

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Make sure your rear brakes are working and adjusted properly. It sounds like the the fronts are doing all of the braking.

5. snowcan

snowcan Member

Are all four pads wearing out evenly? Are your rotors in spec, (no warpage or to thin)? Make sure the caliper slides are not seized and also check that the caliper pistons are not seizing. It is a good idea to replace the brake fluid even if you are just doing the pads. Don't bother with the made in China brake rotors, they can't release heat fast enough, and will cause premature pad wear, get good ones from raybestos or napa's top line.

6. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

3 out of the 4 pads wore evenly, it looks like number 4 broke apart causing the noises.

7. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

My 99 K3500 (bought new) consistently got 7,000-8,000 miles on a set of factory pads. I switched to Bendix severe duty pads and now get about 20,000 miles on a set. The calipers are very sensitive to wear in the pins and bushings that the calipers slide on. I also had a problem with a sticking piston that caused the uneven wear you're seeing. I rebuilt the calipers last year (truck currently has 185,000 miles on it) and the pads are wearing very evenly.

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I thought I was hard on brakes.:D Check the rear shoes, they should be adjusted every other oil change to be honest with you. There just don't seem to self adjust like they should.

9. snowcan

snowcan Member

Inside pads are the ones most likely to crack and fall apart, in which case check that the caliper piston is free and retracting properly also check for rust on the inside of the brake rotor, but be sure to check the slides too.

10. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I'll be checking the rear shoes, as I suspect there may be an issue there.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Did you let my mom drive it? If so, there is your problem with the pads :)