1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Dodge Cummins front axle

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PJPlowin', Oct 3, 2005.

1. PJPlowin'

PJPlowin' Junior Member
    from Ohio

I just picked up a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel with a 3.55 front axle. I was recently told that plowing will "destroy" the 3.55 front axle in this truck. Is this true? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Paul :confused:

2. Ian

Ian Member

Paul,

Your front axle will be just fine. Try to keep to a lighter weight plow ( I run a 7.5 western with wings to get a wide plow without the extra weight and I run shoeless). Don't take railroad crossings at 75 MPH and place some ballast as far aft as possible.

My 96 3500 diesel holds up well and is similar to yours, but I think you should have a different steering linkage setup and possibly improved ball joints. Inspect the track bar, ball joints and tie rod ends before the season begins and keep them greased through the zerk fittings. My front ball joints are on order, they lasted 125k.

Patrick

3. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

Hello
    i am a tec at a local shop. the 3.55 front axle is your gear ratio. only. Meaning your drive shaft will have to turn 3.5 times to complete one tire revolution. This in no way effects the weight your front end can carry. you could have 4.56 gears ( very very low) and still hang the same plow. Your front springs will determine how much weight you can handle. The 3.55 axle will not have as much mechanical advantage (torque or pushing power) as per say a 4.10 or 4.56 axle.all of these gear ratio's are put into the same diff housing so I wouldn't say you have a weak front axle.
    hope this helps
    mike

4. PJPlowin'

PJPlowin' Junior Member
    from Ohio

But will the weight of a plow be too much for the axle to handle? Do I need to beef up the axle or do I just need to beef up the ball joints and steering like Ian said?

I think I will go with a 7.5' plow with the wings for weight savings. Poly or steel?

Paul

5. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

hello
    All of your suspension ( ball joints axle housing springs everything is the same as a heavy duty ) your truck is plenty strong. That truck will handle a 8 footer no problem. I would go steel.... Your truck is very heavy duty. You will not blow an axle due to the 3.55's. Whoever is telling you that is incorrect. think about this every 1/2 ton out there plows with a 7.5 steel and probably only 3.42 or numerically lower gears. Your truck is really stout. if you doubt me check out fisher's web site.
    good luck
    mike

6. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

hello again
    Just for my piece of mind I went to fisher for you. Your choices are infinite.
    You can go as small as a 7.5 or as big as a 9 with no problems.
    good luck in your choice......
    mike

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed with one for three years, never had a problem..