1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Brando55, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Brando55

Brando55 Member

Recently picked up a 2000 club cab 2500 cummins automatic. I noticed while cruising between 50-60 km/h the trans always seems to be switching between two gears. Just wondering if this is normal for these trucks or do I have some trans troubles on my hands?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Its a common problem. Join TDR and do a search on the 2nd gen forum.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Join cummins forum.com as there is a who designed &
    & R&D transmissions for Ram that is on there almost everyday

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Its an EZ fix and about $50.00 in parts. The parts are so common almost every decent automotive store will carry them. One is a speed transducer and the other is called a govener pressure switch if I remember correctly. While there do the filter too.

5. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

Also make sure the wastegate on the turbo isn't stuck. That can and will make it shift funny. TRUST ME:mechanic:

6. steinerservices

steinerservices Junior Member

7. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

I forget what wire it is but theres a wire and connection clip that's close to the alternator. clean the connection and route it as far away from the alternator as possible. The electric current of the alternator causes the tc to lock up at the wrong time. I did that trick after I bought the isolater ( but had not installed it) and never had a problem again. Before you spend the money try that stupid trick first