1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000, dodge 2500 tire question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jt5019, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Just noticed on my new/used dodge 2500 4x4 that my 265-75-R16 tires are only load C rated.Is this safe to plow with?I always thought i needed E rated tires it kinda shocked me to see they wernt.The tred is still great but if its unsafe i really dont want to risk it. thanks

If it matters i have a 8 foot fisher minute mount plow and a western pro flo tailgate spreader. I did do some minor plowing last week and it seemed ok.
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Don't worry about it. I have the same tires and I've had no problems at all. A load range of "C" on LT265/75R16 means they can bear over 2,000 pounds of weight at a maximum inflation of 50 p.s.i. You will have no problem at all with the additional weight of your plow and/or ballast.
  3. aces

aces Junior Member
    from SD

I think the 3/4t with the CTD does require E rated tires -- if you have a gasser I really dont know. You have a fairly heavy truck, especially loaded, so you might want to check the owners manual or with the dealer to be sure you're not overloading your tires. I try to put the best rubber under my truck as i can, but if you're within weight limits you'll be fine.
  4. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna Member

Check your drivers side door jam. My 98 and 99 both say 265-75R-16-E. The 98's a gasser and the 99 is CTD. If it were me, I wouldn't chance it. If one goes out and you have an accident, your insurance company would be sure to make an issue out of underrated tires for the load, not to mention the fact that you might hurt yourself or someone else. I just replaced my E rated Michelin LTX M/S for $325 an axle at NTB, so it's not all that expensive (relatively speaking) when you look at the damage that can result from a blown sidewall, during a snowstorm while carrying a 750 lbs plow on the front and a ton of salt in the bed. If it were me, I would buy the right tires and sleep a little better at night, but that's just my $.02 Good luck!
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

My door says 245-75-R16-E. I didnt know if there would be a difference with the 265-75-R16 tires i have on it now. I really know nothing about tires and know if i went to a tire store and asked them they would try to sell me tires either way.I was thinking about keeping my current ones till the tred is used up a bit more but if its a safty issue im not risking it.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My old chevy had "C" rated tires and they worked just fine. I had a plow on the truck and all 4 tires were inflated to 60 psi. I hauled some very heavy loads with that truck and never had one problem. Bottom line, you should be ok. :waving:
  7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

The key to this whole thing is 245 versus 265. A C rated 245 is rated at 400 to 500 pounds less of weight bearing ability than a C rated 265. That's why that they are recommending E ratings on a 245. You do what you want but I'm telling you the C rated 265 is fine for what you're driving. If you want to be more sure, just call around to a few plow dealers and ask them.
  8. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

I put c rated tires on my 2001 2500 with the cummins motor and everything was fine. The tires where awesome and there was some weight on them.
  9. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Just Replaced My factory Michelins (265/75 R16 load E) on my 02 Ram CTD . Got Toyo Open Country A/T's 265/75 r16 load E Mann What a sweet Tire!

On my 99 Gasser it has Michelins 245's/75 R16 load E. I think I'm going to upgrade to 265's when I need to replace them.
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hey King, I have the same tires but with a "c" rating. I like them too, even though they are (gulp) japanese , but one thing I have noticed is they seem to wear faster than the Coopers I had on my 99 Suburban. Watch for that, be interesting to hear how you like them a year from now. Don't get me wrong, I do like them, very aggressive tread, good luck with 'em. :waving:
  11. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Thanks Jon, Yea I am Intrested to see how they will Compare with the stock michelins. I was considering Just Replacing With the Same Tires due to the fact I thought they were pretty good in snow and in rain, smooth ride, and I got 54,000 miles out of them. But Once I saw That Toyo Tire I wanted to try them out so I got them Installed for 660-. They are not as smooth as the mich's at high speed but already having Plowed with them once a couple weeks ago they feel like they grip the snow covered road Noticely Better Then the Mich's. LATER "PLOW ON" ! :drinkup:
  12. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

In my opinion, just read on the sidewall of your current tire for the max load rating. I would imagine the tire will be rated for around 2800-3100 lb load at max pressure. Just look at the tire sidewall and then you'll know for sure.
  13. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

E rated

I just put 2 rated BF All Terrains. The guy said if I didn't haul much weight I could go with C rated tires. Being a semi driver, and like the Michelin commercials (you got a lot riding on your tires), I went with the 10 ply E rated instead of the 6 ply C rated. You kinda get what you pay for! More plys on a semi may just stop that screw or nail or whatever from getting all the way through the tire. On a semi it is 40.00 just to get a tire plugged, not to mention the extra hour or two that I have to wait (at 65/ hour) and that flat turns into 200.00! I will always spend a little extra from now on and get the better tire. Just my $.02.

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There are safety factors in the weight ratings- but if the truck states E range many tire shops will not sell you or install anything but- liability issues.

CTD require E tires because of the GVWR of the truck- I ran C when I first got mine, but they are NOT rated for 60 PSI and you can burst a tire overloading it. Plus your insurance co can deny any claims resulting from useing the wrong load rated tire. (your on the highway hauling 1 ton of sand and blow a tire. You loose control, hit another car, hit the guard rail and run off the road. the isnurance co deturmines the blown tire was because of your failure to install the proper load rated tire (correct part) for your vehicle and deny's your claim so you total your truck, have to pay for the car you hit, and get sued for inadequate insurance.) Not that far fetched.