1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 chevy volt meter in truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by overtime, Jan 7, 2010.

1. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I tried to find any other posts with same or similar problems but no luck. I have 2000 chevy half ton with 7.6 v plow light and reverse lights and a scanner going. That's about it. When I am plowing the volt meter goes half way from 9 to 14 so about 11.5. Is this normal? A lot of guys say there gauge never moves. Just a little input. Also I am runner 2 new dual battery setup. With stock alt

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Same thing here we need to upgrade to a higher amp alternator
    I think my stock alt is only 65 amps
    The upgrade is 105 amp but I am not for sure
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

My father's 1995 GMC 1500 does the same thing but perhaps worse, it goes from about 16v down to 8-9v and takes several seconds to come back to 14v where it normally hovers when plowing. This is rather recent that the truck takes so long to recover after moving the plow. I'm with you I think it is an alternator issue, but it wouldn't hurt to have a back up on the battery either i.e dual batteries.
  4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I have dual batteries already. I was thinkin the alt its 10 years old so that's not bad. I think its a 105 so ill try the 130 I don't think I need the 200 amp
  5. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Can you really ever have too many amps? I would see what the mechanics say, perhaps 200amps will benefit the recharging of 2 batteries and running the plow.
  6. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have a single Die Hard Platinum, stock alt with upgraded batt-alt and ground wires. When operating the plow it drops to 11-12, springs right back to normal within a second though. Last winter before the wire upgrade, it would take a bit longer to get back to normal.
  7. overtime

overtime Senior Member

i did upgrade to power wire but ran out of time to go and do the ground so i will have to try that. forgot about it till you said something.