1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Chevy- Trimbrens or heavier leaf springs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by djlunchbox, Nov 11, 2011.

1. djlunchbox

djlunchbox Member

Our 2000 Chevy 3500 is busting a serious sag when we load our V box half way with sand. We need to stiffen up that rear suspension some how. What would you guys recommend, if you had to choose one or another. Heavier duty springs / helper springs, air bags, or timbrens? Just looking for real world experiences before I go spending money on something.
  2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Air bags are the best to help the springs, but none of them can help if your axle can't hold it.
  3. djlunchbox

djlunchbox Member

the axle should be able to hold it. Its a 3500. Should be a 14 bolt under there. I think the springs are getting tired though.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had a Dodge that I sprung the springs on from to much weight. What I did on my 04 Chevy to prevent that again was added 2 springs to the leafs and Timbrens together. I will be putting air bags in when I get a chance and take out the Timbrens.

So if it were me I would do the leaf springs and air bags together.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Air bags...

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Just slap some timbrens on it. No need to make it complicated.