1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 chevy one ton dump

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ultimateinc, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

hey guys im kinda stumped i got a 2000 chevy one ton dump and its turning over fine but wont start like its not getting fuel. the fuel pumps aren't kicking on. iv waited a hour a tried it again and they kicked on and it almost started. then tried it a few more times and there not kicking on again. im gonna change the fuel pump relay and start from there. any other ideas of why they came on twice but wont all the time ? or what could be the problem ? thanks
  2. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

Did ya check the filter
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be 500 things I could guess all day. U really need to invest in some test equipment. ck fuel pressure and spark.
  4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Relay is a good start or you can check to see if your getting power back there first. If so I would check the fuel prime pressure and cranking pressure. If you got some miles on this I would bet its the pumps as its common. I will try to start and actually start when they are still bad....just not enough pressure to keep it running.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

First gasser or diesel? Guessing gasser, the fuel pump will not turn on every time the key is turned on if the pressure has been met. You can bleed off the fuel pressure and see if the pump comes on the next key cycle. I had to do the pressure regulator in my 99' with a 454 last year.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Actually it takes more pressure to start than run
  7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yes Im aware of this BUT it can start and then shut off if the pump is bad. Ive had that happen plenty of times.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. Subseven

Subseven Member

Because it always did. More gas too!