1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Chevy Duramax ok for a plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maxpower_454, Feb 10, 2010.

1. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 Junior Member

A buddy of mine is looking at a 2000 Chevy 2500 Duramax with a plow on it. I'm not sure what kind of plow it is. Will this be a good truck? He's only going to plow his driveway with it. Any worries about the weight of the diesel and the plow on the front?

Also, are the transmissions ok in these? Did the 2000's have the Allison trans?

2. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

2000 did not have a 6.6 Duramax, it still had the 6.5 TD if its a Duramax its 01+ yes it will be fine, there are Duramax 2500HD's with 9' Fishers on them everywhere here. He will love it. All Duramax equipped trucks came with an Allison, only Duramax equipped vehicles that didn't get an Allison were the vans.

3. maxpower_454

Ok, sorry, I guess it isn't a durmax then. I just assumed since I know it's a diesel. Still ok or no?

4. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Is it new body style? look like my truck?

5. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Well according to Chevy. No truck that they make with the Duramax is rated for use with snow plow, except the new 2011's. This sucks as I was looking at an 2005 crew cab short box. They said the front end is not rated for the extra weight added from the duramax engine.

6. maxpower_454

Yes, looks like your truck. Like a typical 2000.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

2000's had the old body style with the 6.5 L diesel...

2001 was the first year for the new body style and the duramax, the first gen duramax lb7 is known to have injectors problems but chevy bumped up the warranty on it quite a bit to make up for it... any duramax makes for an AMAZING plow truck, I own 2 and will never go back... the front axle rating is all a bunch of crap, its more then strong...

8. maxpower_454

Which 'old' body style? I have a 94. That body style? I thought it would have the rounded lights in the front like justind's above.

So is the old diesel good or not?

9. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

88-98 on half tons are OBS
    GM kept the 98 style until 2000 on some 2500's and 3500's

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If it's a 2000 AND a diesel it's a 6.5 and an old body style 88-00.

11. maxpower_454

Ok, I guess it's a 6.5L OBS then.

Is this a good truck or not?

12. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

I like them, would rather have a duramax thought