1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scitown, Jan 9, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Anyone know what the stock alternator is in my 2000 chevy 3500, 5.7L 350? I can't find the stamp on it without taking it out. I dont know if they had a plow prep package on the 3500 It does not have the roof lights if that helps. It has two batteries was that stock? Thanks for the help.

2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I promise I did a search first even found a couple threads, Nothing helped. I can't figure out what the hell the other battery is doing. I think it is running through a relay but I have no Idea where it goes from there. I cant tell what if anything is running off the second battery it is not run parallell. My gauge hits the red when I use the plow but comes back real fast. What the hell Is going on in this truck?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The volt gauge dropping to almost red is close to normal. The plow motors draw alot of amps really fast. But if it goes right back up then you should be ok. Replace the batteries with ones that are bigger and that will help. As far as plow prep, open the glove box door and there will be a build sticker on it. There are a bunch of codes, look for one that says VYU. That is the factory GM plowprep code and you should have a ~160 amp alternator on it. Good luck with it

4. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I just had a full size lightbar installed on the truck. I haven't tried it with the plow yet. The guy that installed it does all the local police and fire lights. He also could not figure out what the other battery was doing. He told me all it was doing right now was keeping the front of my truck level. Thanks for the help!

5. scitown

scitown Senior Member

That is one mess of codes. It does say VYU and something about a camper insert for the truck. Thanks for the help.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The second battery definitely could be factory.. and if your truck has the camper package, it's run through an isolator and back to the camper plug in to power a camper. The truck itself is only using the primary battery, but it will charge BOTH batteries. So your light installer is correct, it's nothing but a paper weight the way it is now.

You can use the existing set up by disconnecting the second battery from the isolator and tying it directly to the primary battery (parallel of course). The truck will still charge both batteries, but you will now be able to draw from both like it should be for a plow equipped truck.

7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thank you B&B. I was hoping to find you around here. The second battery has no juice, but right now, neither does my wallet. I think that will be the next addition, two new batteries. Where would a camper plug be? Should that be the only thing running off that battery? I dont want to go disconecting wires if they have other uses back there.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Usually the plug was in the bed (if it even had one) Many trucks were ordered with the camper wiring capability but were never used for one.. but it may (some did, some didn't) also have a wire running back the truck to the trailer plug on the back to feed 12V battery power to a pull behind camper. But there should be nothing else getting power from the aux battery.

9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Im still not sure if its a 160 alternator. The more I google the more confused I am. This site is still the best place for answers

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the VYU plow prep, it should have had the 124 amp alternator in '99..

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

So the VYU plow prep then only had the 124 amp alternator??? Seems kinda low. I think the newer trucks have a 160 amp for the plow prep, or am I wrong. I bet if he put in a bigger alternator with new dual batteries, he shouldnt have much of a problem anymore

12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

haha its the old style 2000. Now I think you guys are just messing with my head. I think it was the same as the 99 but they changed it right around then so I still dont know.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes Tom, on the OBS the VYU equipped trucks were 124's (scitowns 2000 is an OBS truck with the 5.7).

Once you go to the next body style with the LS1 motor (like your truck) they then came with the 140's..

14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I think we can put this thread to rest now.:gunsfiring:

15. scitown

scitown Senior Member

FYI In case someone does a search and comes across this thread. My truck 2000 OBS 3500 chevy SRW with the plow prep code only had a 100 amp alt!!! The alternator was stock 100 amp. I put two new batteries in the truck. One battery that was in it was completly dead and the second was on its way out. When I added the second battery the underpowered alternator was giving me problems. Right now the truck is still running dual batteries thru an isolator. I know the parallel battery nazi's on this site will jump all over this. When the weather is a little warmer out and I dont have to stand in a puddle to wire the batteries I will switch it to straight parallel on the dual batteries. For now I think It will be a good test of the isolator. Like I said the truck ran my plow and my accesories fine with a single battery the only problem was my gauge dropping but then charging back up imediatly. Anyone adding a second battery should know that you may need to spend a coupld hundred dollars on top of the price of two new batteries to drop in a new alternator and in my case a belt. So when you are trying to decide on wich batteries to buy keep in mind you may need to drop some dough on an alt.