1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rangr25, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

Hi I have a 2000 chevy 2500 4x4 and it doesnt have the factory plow package so I was curious if thats really a huge deal or if it would be able to handle a plow just fine with maybe just an altenator upgrade? any and all inputs are appreciated! thanks
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have the same truck with the factory plow prep. Is yours the newer style like mine with the 6.0 or the square style with the 5.7?? With the plow prep (code VYU) you get heavier t-bars, skid plates, bigger alternator, roof top light button, external transmission cooler, and a heavy duty fan clutch. I think that is about it. You might have a hard time finding a plow dealer that will do the install without this, due to liability reasons. You could get a set of timbrens in the front, put an external trans cooler in and an alternator from a plow prep equipped truck, and the fan clutch. Mind you this will not make your truck any stronger, but will help carry the plow. Put some ballast against the tailgate to keep the front from nose-diving. I wouldnt recommend going more than a 7.5 on this particular truck without plow prep, but that is just me. Some people here may have different suggestions for you too
  3. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

yeah i also have the newer body style with the 6.0 in it.. im pretty sure it has a trans cooler though. I dont have the paper work on hand right now so i dont know for sure though. Do you think a V-blade would be too heavy for this truck? Also I was just reading some info on here about chevy's having frame cracking issues have you encountered anything like this on your truck?
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I have never had any issues like that at all. It wouldnt hurt to weld in those gussets everyone talks about. Open the glove box door and you will see a bunch of codes on a white sticker. Look for the one that says VYU. If it has that, then you have plow prep. I do think a V would be too much for this truck. There is a guy near me running a 2000 GMC 2500 ext cab with a Boss 8'2" V and that thing is squatting wayyyy too much. Without plowprep, I wouldnt consider putting on a V blade. Those things are friggin heavy!!!
  5. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

alrighty i know for sure that it doesnt have the plow prep.. although it pretty much has everything else... but even if i add extra support to the front suspension you still think it would be too much?
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i would suggest checking the plows manufacturer sites and see what they recommend for your truck.

You can plow with that truck.I would say just be sure on the tranny cooler (i would think you already have one it it) and as you start setting up the truck yo ucan look into the gussetts for the frame, etc.

I havent changed my alternator yet (no plow prep) and its only the 105 amp one. Lights dim but i ignore it.
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I think a V weighs somewhere in the area of 700-900 lbs or so. Put that with the weight of the lift frame and mount, you could easily hit 1,000lbs. Then swing that 3 ft of the front of the truck. That then turns say 800lbs of blade into 1200lbs due to the whole lever fulcrum stuff. So potentially it would be like hanging half to 3/4 of a ton on the front of a truck. Not too good on everything and stopping power. I would be willing to bet that would be wayyy over the front axle gvwr. Yours might be 4300lbs. Mine is 4800 or 5000 I cant recall off hand. Even that 500lbs can make all the difference. Plus these trucks sit pretty friggin low in the front, so you may have issues with the corners of the V hitting the ground while transporting in V mode. You would for sure want those tbars cranked up some or put a 2" front lift on. I wouldnt run a V on anything less than a 2500HD, or the 3500's. But these are my opinions and the final decision rests with you. Just grab a 7.5 straight, put a set of pro wings on and you then have 9.5 ft of blade that has scooping ability and doesnt weigh a ton
  8. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

The reason im asking so much about the v-blade is because a friend of mine who knows someone that doesnt want there's anymore and if its a cant beat kinda price i would really like to get it but i suppose i should really be thinking hard about it now!
  9. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

also is that front axle info on the inside of the driver side door or where can i find that out?
  10. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

Front axle info I believe is on front door jamb. Bigger plows add more stress but if you need it for the job get it, but keep in mind you may need more repairs so make sure you are making enough to cover it.
  11. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

That truck will be able to handle a V plow. I would put Timbrens on the front,turn the torsion bars up and make sure you have plenty of ballast in the back. Yes the gussets would be a good thing to add to the front end.
  12. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

Ok this is what im working with The front axle gvwr is 4410lbs it has an (KNP) HD AUX Transmission cooling system, (TP2) Auxiliary Battery, and the gross vehicle weight is 8600 lb... also this truck isnt going to be mainly used for plowing its just gonna be used for side jobs until I hopefully build enough winter accounts for next season. I'm not even sure if ill have it hooked up all the time, It would just be a nice thing to have at my hands if needed!
  13. Riccas

Riccas Member

Been running a similar setup just fine. Front end may sag a bit more but you can go with timbrens or new shocks.
  14. itssnowtime

itssnowtime Member

I'm having the same sag problem with my 03 GMC 2500HD. I bought it used last year with a 7.5 western straight blade and didn't have major issues with it but this year I put an 8' straight blade with wings on and I'm bottoming out big time!. I bought some timbrens for the front end and when I went to install them I noticed that the truck already had them?? I'm looking at customizing the mount to raise the plow that way. It should give me another 3" lift and keep the plow from bottoming out but I will have to cut and weld the removable mount guides permanently. Has anyone done this before?
  15. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

You could try these: http://www.fsip.com/riderite/products/crinfo.shtml however I dont think they are as strong as the airbags for leaf spring apps.
  16. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have the exact same truck. Your going to need to beef up the front end and get about 500-600 pounds of balast behing the back wheels. Get timbrens and crank up the T-Bars. I have a new alternator but its not more powerful than the stock one. Other than those things your going to be all set. I think a V is way to heavy, I have an 8' fisher and thats about all it can take. JMO
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008